• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wanted sunroof cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
I am now down to needing just one cable!
The righthand one if you stand in the van looking forward.
Can anyone help.........
regards hopefully Paul

Hi Paul VW heritage seem to have a few bits for them but state that they are out of stock on cables, worth a ring to see if they have any yet im going to call them to see if they have any of the cog wheels as mine is worn , common apparantly. Does your sunroof have a felt or rubber seal around the edge? mine has nothing but looks like it should have.
Good luck with the cable.

Hi dude..
I've got a mate currently got some new cables arriving from the states, should be here in the next few weeks, will let you know what they're like when they arrive...
We've been trying to locate 3 sets for a while, and from what we can see they all seem to break in the same place..
Good luck
Bob

Thanks for the replies.I would be interested in a cable if you friends deal comes thru-I keep checking the samba site but nothing has come up for ages.
In respose to the question about the seals,this is interesting as I was going to post another thread about this. the sunroof i purchased from RCC has the remains of a plastic seal on it-i have never seen one of these for sale can anyone help?
I also have a felt seal(from Heritage) and thanks to a seller at Stoner I was able to see where this fits ie on the body of the van not on the sunroof panel as I thought-does this just get glued on????
any help with sunroof fitting esp photos would be a great help
cheers Paul

If you could pass on any info you can on the sunroof cables it would be great. I have a bud, (mate) that has a '70 sunroof bay and his cables are broke. He's been looking for a few years now.

Thanks.

All this talk of broken cables, im now scared to open mine, though it does work ok I too would be interested in a pair of cables just in case, also any one got a picture of a sunroof with the seals in place. As mine is working any one wishing to come and look how it goes together etc is more than welcome.

Just a thought on fitting your roof, I have a haynes manual for the vw 1700/1800 transporter 72 to 74 for my bus and it has a very detailed section on this type of roof with pics etc that may be very useful ive seen a few copies on ebay and amazon, also who did you get your roof from? I also seem to be missing the trim at the back of the sunroof panel if you ever come across one.

Wibbler,Thanks for the info will look out for that manual.
Got my roof from RCC imports in Wales-very helpful and prompt delivery.
What rear trim are you talking about? Is it the rear drain channel? Page 51 0f the heritage catalogue-cos i've a spare one of those that I might part with....
regards Paul

Hi Paul, I was looking at a picture of a roof and i thought I had that channel missing but it was there ( silly me) Just to pick your brains a little, Ive got drain outlet at the bottom of the B post and inside the air intake at the back but I cant find an outlet for the middle drains. Ive looked on thesamba and some seem to have it just above the rear jacking point, I have a feeling mine have been paneled over as the drain holes where sealed with silicone which ive now removed, how are they on your bus?

wibbler,
six drain channel in total 2 at back through air vent space outletting behind rear wheels and then 2 at front right by jacking points and 2 central ones the one the sliding door side exits just behind that panel-the front 4 have the rubber seal thing to fit in drain tube-item 3 in heritage cat

Cheers Paul, if anyone has any pics that would be great as it seems the middle ones have been covered over, on the sliding door side do you mean the outlet is behind the outer panel . Also a guy in the states is selling a complete roof panel (wouldnt mind it myself) he seems to have all the workings, cables etc, might be worth a look in. Item 300118894224 on ebay.

Hi amigo...
We have 2 late ( 78 ) sunroof busses and they ar ebothe og paint never welded. Both of them don't have the drain holes after the sliding door pannel. Just have the front ones. My 69 microbus definately did have the middle ones.. Reckon it must of been a cost cutting exercise by vw or they figured you just don't need 6 drain tubes!

What year is your bus?

Order placed,went for a slower but cheaper delivery option.
Will report back when fitted!!!!
Should be right before the summer ends!!

got the complete sunroof bit, alloy side rails and cables, ring VW Evolution and ask for Ron.

Latest posts