Westfalia trailer restoration. FINISHED! Now for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked the bushes they might be ok? I havent got to the wood stage yet lol but I'm thinking marine ply. I'm undecided on varnish or oil/wax for the finish. :?:

Turkish said:
Thanks for all the comments and sorry to hi jack the thread but this has proven very usefull.

What bits will i need to get in preperation, the suspension rubbers have all been replaced and i will order some of the nylon bushes as mentioned but anything else??

What wood should i be using??

Marine ply is the only option if you want it to last, and I had some Teak stain hanging about, then when that ran out I used the clear that I also had in the garage :lol:

On assembly I ran some silicon where the wood attached to the steel, and again a bead where the two meet to keep the rain out. All pretty straight forward and well worth the effort i think

Turkish said:
creationblue said:
Top Tip, get a decent rivet gun, I used 99 rivets :|

Do you know what size / type rivets you used??

4.8mm something like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/metal-rivets/5124050/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just

I have been asked if I want aluminium
, steel or stainless and if countersunk??

This is getting complicated lol

Got parts back from powdercoaters today :D

P1060583.jpg

P1060584.jpg

Just another question re refurb and rivets, do I rivet internally or externally ??

Looks as though internally at present??

Turkish said:
Just another question re refurb and rivets, do I rivet internally or externally ??

Looks as though internally at present??

Good question!

The frame is riveted from the outside, but, the lid from the inside............spent this morning rectifying that mistake! :D

Oh and dont remove the hinge brackets from the lid, they used some huge strong rivets that Im struggling to replicate, they were a bitch to drill out and thats when I realised I should have left them on, now one of them just wont rivet to the frame properly, spent ages today then gave up till I have some bigger rivets :evil:

Thanks for the heads up!

I have a mate in the nut and bolt business, if you let me have size etc I'll see what I can do, I'll need some too!!

Can post em won't cost much

Turkish said:
Thanks for the heads up!

I have a mate in the but and bolt business, if you let me have size etc I'll see what I can do, I'll need some too!!

Can post em won't cost much

Thanks for the offer 8)

Replaced all fixings with stainless steel to start re-assembling the trailer...

P1060617.jpg

New plastic bearings compared to old

P1060616.jpg

New bearings and innertubes and wheels are assembled

P1060618.jpg

Restored mine about 4 or 5 years ago and was well worth the effort.

DSCF3131.jpg

Still going strong, and gets loads of abuse.

P1050949.jpg

Latest posts