Westfalia trailer restoration. FINISHED! Now for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be a cracking job by the looks of things 8)

How did these come out of your bearings?

088.jpg

I had to get a mate to make me a tool to drive them out..........was a bitch

Mine didn't put up much of a fight, I drove them out on the bench with a socket but I did bugger up one of the open bearing caps hence I went with closed cap bearings.

Although you have just reminded me that I have forgot to put that collar in the center of the wheels :cry:

Just as a point of interest, the rivets look much better done from the outside. The corner ones look good if you use slightly larger rivets and knock them to form around the curve with a rubber mallet. Rivets on the lid have to to go in from the inside to allow the lid to close. (think this has been metioned)

Also a couple of tips.............

1. If your van is lowered than put the tow arm on in reverse.
2. Use a small wooden block under the roof rack mountings to allow the rain to run from under the rack. (this might not be needed but the brackets where missing from mine and i had to adapt it to fit........how often do you here that in the VW world)

Got a little update to add to mine if i get around to it this year. Watch this space.

Ok today I stripped the rack down, drilled out the rivets

P1060630.jpg

P1060631.jpg

Half of the bolts sheard in the uprights, I tried bolt extractors that just made matters worse by snapping! I now have them all drilled out and will re-tap a thread back in

P1060632.jpg

P1060634.jpg

Not sure what Im going to do with the rack, I want to strip it back and polish it up but whatever its coated in is well on there.

Well I have got the ball rolling on mine, dropped it round to my mates garage today with intention of starting the strip down Monday.

Ordered new tyres and tubes off flea bay and in process of ordering glide bearings and mudguards off westytrailers.com.

Really got the bug now thanks to this thread

Turkish said:
Well I have got the ball rolling on mine, dropped it round to my mates garage today with intention of starting the strip down Monday.

Ordered new tyres and tubes off flea bay and in process of ordering glide bearings and mudguards off westytrailers.com.

Really got the bug now thanks to this thread

Glide bearings, oh what fun! Mine would NOT go back in....no way pedro. After 2 hours of sweating and swearing I resorted to slowly shave away the outside of the bearing and was surprised how much I had to shave away to get them together and they are still tight. :roll: I hope you have better luck.

Well it's stripped down other than the axel, got to separate the bits that hold the wheels.

Wood definitely needs replacing but otherwise it doesn't look too bad.

Gonna be a couple of weeks before I do anything else

Oh, can some on give me some measurements for the spare wheel holder that sits underneath the trailer??

Got to try and replicate!

Turkish said:
Oh, can some on give me some measurements for the spare wheel holder that sits underneath the trailer??

I dont have a spare wheel :( so cant help you there (if anyone has a wheel to sell me... :D )

Turkish said:

I have one on mine but cant get you any dims till next week

Just

creationblue said:
Turkish said:

Just

Next week would be great, just the obvious really: lengths diameters etc

Much appreciated

creationblue said:
Turkish said:

Just

Did you manage to get those measurements fella???

Sorry mate, looks like I found a buyer so will deffo take the measurements before its collected,

Just

I have had a day on the trailer today, I'm on holiday all week and today was the 1st dry day :roll:

Got the ply all cut and 1st coat of varnish on. I daren't move it outside until I've built it a shelter to live under, a job for next week I think

P1060849.jpg

Here are a few pics for reference, I have a drawing with the dimmensions on, but I need time to draw them up on here........

007-17.jpg

004-21.jpg

006-17.jpg

003-23.jpg

005-19.jpg

Trailer now gone to a good home

Just

Thats brill, glad to hear it's gone somewhere it'll be appreciated and used.

Thanks for the pics / measurements, it its easier you could fax them me at work.

Let me know

That's coming together nicely. Great quality powder coating 8)

Not long to go now. :D

Latest posts