Westy pop top hinges location please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibérico

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I am in the middle of my westy home brew pop top fitment...just cut away a perfect tin top last weekend :lol:
My big doubt is the exact placement of the hinges to get the pop top in the right spot ...
.with some help I have lifted the pop top on to the van and more or less marked the position of the hinges...but it has been a very hit and miss guess... :?
I would be very grateful if some good soul could measure the distance between the windscreeen seal and the front edge of the hinges, to get a better idea of the exact position.
By the way, my hinges are the flat metal ones , I think the very early westy ones are made of steel tube...(I have heard these are :?: stronger .)...And They have three holes to attach it to the roof of the van. These holes are not round and allow a little adjustment, but not much !

Thanks for looking and helping!

I asked the same question in thesamba.com...and I got a brilliant reply with pics!
My top is fixed, just done it this morning :D And it seems to be in the right place :mrgreen:
I copy the link in case anybody else finds it useful...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540338&highlight=hinges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tonio

Excellent link as I am about to do the same with my crossover. Another point, the rear supports are located on the edge of the sunshine roof aperture on a real Westy, which is about 5cm below the roof line so the canvas will have to be adjusted to suit I think :?

Good point! I have thought about it ....but Inthink there is enough material, I havent fitted the canvas yet and I will do some measuring before...
Check bluebay's thread ...he did a hole brew install too, and I found it very inspiring!
And he stapled the canvas to the top wooden frame without the fold that most people do and the plastic strip, so I think that is how I guess you can get those extra 5cm ;)
His finish in the canvas is great so I will probably go that route..
Good luck with your project! :D
It is great being able to stand in the van...what a huge difference it makes!
Actually I prefer the looks of tintops...but I have twins and we need the extra bed on top :D
Mine is also a crossover by the way ;)
Tonio

Latest posts