What size tyres and wheels?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la_bigmac

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy some fooks from midlandwheels.com as they do a deal with tyres.

From the guides and measuring my standard steels I am confident these are the right size.

Size: 5.5 x 15
PCD: 5-112
Offset: ET20

However, my current tyre's were an emergency purchase following a blowout on the motorway. Part worn and £20 each I cannot complain, but I have ended up with some winter tyre's 185/70 R14 88T.

I run at standard height, I might lower (A little bit) in the future but no plans to any time soon.

Will my van look stupid with 185/55 R15 Yokohama's?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=185-70r14-185-55r15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a bit of a difference..

What I want.

What I have. I know it will drop a little when put back together.. Should I consider 17" rims?

Wheel and tyre choice are very much a personal thing but, there are a number of things you really ought to consider.

Originally, your van would have had 185 14 commercial tyres (profile of 82%). You are planning on fitting 185/55 15 which would mean a difference in diameter of over 10% smaller. The normally recommended maximum difference is 2.5%. Your speedo would read considerably faster than your actual speed and your gearing would be a lot lower too, meaning higher revs for the same road speed.

The other thing to consider also, and perhaps more importantly, is the load carrying capacity of the tyres you intend to fit. Many people will tell you that you must have commercial rated tyres etc, many big arguments on the forums over this over the years, but my opinion is as long as the tyres fitted have at least the load capacity as recommended by VW then you shouldn't have any problems, either actual or insurance wise if you were to have an accident due to a tyre failure. Insurance companies will very likely not pay out if it was found the tyres were not of a suitable capacity for the vehicle.

According to VW the gross axle weight for a Kampmobile is 1010 Kg for the front and 1270Kg for the rear axle. Half each figure for the appropriate tyre rating and what you should have is a load rating of at least 85 for the front and 93 for the rear.

Chances are the tyres you are looking at are rated at either 81 or 82.

Obviously the choice is yours but do you want to run the risk?

For reference, I am running 15" T4 steels with 195/65 15 on the front and 205/65 15 on the rear. I can't remember what the load rating on the fronts are, but they are more than is needed, but the backs are load rated 100/101.

My fronts mean I am running just over 2.5% smaller so my speedo is slightly out, but the rears are less than 1% smaller meaning my gearing is pretty much spot on.

Anyway, these are my opinions and no doubt others on here will voice theirs as I said, tyre choice is a very emotive subject.

As for whether your choice will look stupid or not? In my opinion yes. As for 17's? Your choice!

I'm just thinking of moving from standard 15 inch steels with 195 width tyres (no profile fig on the tyre) and an overall dia of 660 mm.

Am I right in thinking that the profile percentage on a tyre is the wall depth expressed as a percentage of the tread width

Example

A 185 tyre with an 80 profile , has a wall depth of 147mm, inflated but unloaded ?

Why don't you look at the 195x65 tyre option they have ? Then less than 1mph difference at 30, they will fill the arches better and more air in the tyres so helping to keep the comfy ride if your not going lowered.

proper load rated tires are what I slapped on my bus(Hankook RA08) and made a world of difference in handling ;) ;)
It came with 'P' rated tires and In a crosswind It changed lanes :shock:

Just had replica Fooks from VW Heritage fitted with dropped spindles. Had to have 185/65 R15 on the front otherwise the tyres rub. Be carefully as the new wheels stick out further and any larger tyres can catch your arches. Also when on full lock they can rub so you may need I your stops adjusting. This is all at the front and the rear is more straight forward.

Watty said:
Just had replica Fooks from VW Heritage fitted with dropped spindles. Had to have 185/65 R15 on the front otherwise the tyres rub. Be carefully as the new wheels stick out further and any larger tyres can catch your arches. Also when on full lock they can rub so you may need I your stops adjusting. This is all at the front and the rear is more straight forward.

Thanks Watty, good shout I will be mindful when fitting the fronts.

Wheels have arrived :) MW did not have any black/polished in stock until late July but gave me a fully polished set for the same price which is nice. I "might" use some spray rubber and back out the inside bits, I think I prefer the look but will fit them first.

Van should be going into the paint shop, I was told on Monday but looked like lots of jobs left to do to me. I am very very excited I have only ever had ratty VW's so it will be a new experience.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59468

Latest posts