What was the craic at Stonor ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no 6

Reaction score
As a newbie EB owner, with 'some finishing touches' (shall we say) required to my new acquisition, thought I'd trog up to Stonor to see what everybody else's EB looks like and how they are normally finished.

There were loads of (mostly lovely, had to be said) splitties out there in the sunshine, but I could have won 3rd place in the 'unmodified 68-79' class just by turning up (and if deletion of the front air vent doesn't couny as a modification, of course !). Nearly all the EBs were in the car park - including some extremely nice ones. All rather disappointing from that angle.

Are we all intimidated by the splitty gang ? Do they pull our hair and call us names if we dare to enter the show ?

What's the story ?

I think were just more chilled out in my opinion.

A lot of splitty drivers are professional show and shiners and that is all they use there vans for where as I find early bay owners use thers for more than shows like weekends away and holidays.

Just my opinion :wink:

This is down to the SSVC and their organisation I think. The SSVC have a big old Split display that pretty much anyone can join in, and they do. With Bays, you have to actually enter a class to be on show. So most wouldnt.
We just parked up in the modified Type 2 line up ... we're no way good enough to be judged in any way, but people love to look around and ask a few questions, so its good fun, and nice to be right 'in' the show as well.
I think the bay, in general, is too wide to have such a infrastructure as the SSVC is for the Split bus, but its where 'Early Bay' can maybe make some inroads ..... ?

Looking at the style of a lot of the split buses in the SSVC line-up makes me think I should have just put mine in the modified Type 2 line up anyway, just so I could have been right in the show as well instead of being parked right up the hill, and I enjoy folks looking at the bus and asking questions like you do Clem. There's no way mine would be judged like the concours standard rides and I wouldnt want it to be as thats not why I got it.
It would be good to occasionally get space for us earlybayers organized though as Vanfest seems a long way off yet. Maybe its just an area we can all park up in like the SSVC did at Stonor. Just looking in the gallery section on here, there are alot of different styles and types of earlybays to justify a varied line-up. I for one, am not out to win prizes, its more about all meeting up together and showing just how good early bays really are. I get the sense that there is a growing appreciation for early bays within the VW scene, and I think we should make the most of it.

EgoTrippin' said:
I for one, am not out to win prizes, its more about all meeting up together and showing just how good early bays really are. I get the sense that there is a growing appreciation for early bays within the VW scene, and I think we should make the most of it.

Word.

I am not a massive show and shine fan, as if I had 30 grand to chuck at a dub then I would win loads of shows. That simple. :D This seems to be the common way for splitties as its a well off mans game to get em to the level that you see these days. Most people cant compete with that and IMO shouldnt.

Its far better to enjoy your van, build it up slowly or at your own pace and let others enjoy it as much as you do. Me and a few others have put our vans in various shows for a crack and have one, but thats not the point. The last thing I want to do is get up early at VW show and clean the van! (hangover for me every time!) :lol:

We put our bays on our club stand to show people what we have done to our dubs and hopefully lend to giving other people ideas for there vans. Thats why I like to help out people as much as I can, cos we are all her to enjoy our dubs together 8) Have you seen some people in the show and shine! they get so irrate when they get beaten or how smug they are when they win. I like the feeling of owning a half decent van and not entering it. Go to the car parks, that where the true cool vans live.

That is why this site rocks, all dudes and dudettes helping each other to concour the VW world mwa ha ha !

PS. Dont even start me on people who trailer their vans etc to shows!!!!........... :evil:

I think I agree with all of the above.

Bays do tend to be regularly used, and most owners can't be bothered to bring them up to 'show and shine' standard from that base (credit to those who do), or to stand by all day waiting for judges.

But it would have been great just to see a selection of ages and types on show. For example, I've never even seen a Viking with the roof up, and would have liked to see how other people have tackled the problems I now have.

Maybe Ego's got the right idea - I would be very happy to be part of a group of EBs (or just Bays) parked up in a show. Not looking to win any prizes (I don't pick fights I can't win), just giving people a chance to see and appreciate various different styles.

Sounds like other shows do this ?

easy said:
This seems to be the common way for splitties as its a well off mans game to get em to the level that you see these days.

To be fair the SSVC line ups are seperate from the show and shine/concourse, and feature regular people and theyre buses.
Its just nice to browse vans and chat to owners about specifics that are common amongst certain types.
Thats one reason Brighton Breeze works so well, I reckon.

no 6 said:
There were loads of (mostly lovely, had to be said) splitties out there in the sunshine, but I could have won 3rd place in the 'unmodified 68-79' class just by turning up

Really!? You must have a nice van!
stonor076.jpg

I always park my dirty ol van in the show n shine, if the parking's better than general.

Wasn't that the 'modified' class ? There were only 2 in the 'unmodified' class when I was there (which wasn't early).

They ran out of space and were just parking vehicles anywhere I think. Mine's is the blue/white one but, they parked a cheesy Golf behind me, next to the Ghias so things were just being stuck where they'd fit.

Is your van modified Clem?

It's much too sunny to sit inside bickering, especially with new felts and rubbers to fit before it rains again.

I stand by my original point, which was that I would like to see a bigger number and range of bays on display at future shows.

shane r said:
Is your van modified Clem?

Yeah, some.

My mates next to me was too. Hes got a 70 sink unit in his 69 - he's mental he is.

We also didnt know what line up we were in till we wandered back later on :lol:

I'd was tempted to enter show'n'shine, but Kim runs the events side of LTV and was organising the lineup at Stonor, as we only had a couple of vehicles coming we stuck the van on as well to fill the space we had.

To be honest I prefer to just go to a show and look round, we often have club stands and lineups, but all you have to do is park up and chill
8)

Latest posts