Whatever happened to my 1969 Earl Bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granite

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
During the 1970-80S I covered many thousands of miles in Buddy, my 1969 Early Bay. MOT records show him now as Orange. The Reg was YGX 967G.
Is Buddy still around? I now have a more modern version (1970) in exactly the same colours. As I'm 43 three years older the new Buddy is fitted with front disc brakes and litesteer.
Let me know if you now own my old BUS.

GrantScan 4.jpeg

I'd love to know if Buddy is still around. I bought a 1979 2litre Westphalia when I sold Buddy. But, never had so much enjoyment from it as I did with the early bay. Nothing had power steering in those days, so the heavy steering on Buddy was not a factor and the brakes were heavy but adequate for the power. The Westphalia could cruise at 70 but was prone to breakdown regularly and it rusted far quicker???

Granite

Hey @Granite. I hope you find Buddy. If your on Facebook there are pages and clubs that possibly might be able to help. The main one that comes to mind to help find Buddy would be "Wheres my dub now?" where folks post up on there VWs they would like to get back from the past. There are loads of other VW clubs too in the UK you could potentially post on too. There is a club called VW Split Bay T25 Owners Club too on there and well im pretty sure the founder/owner of that club would let you do a post for Buddy😉😁🤙.

Been off the road a while now.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 2
I expect it will have been scrapped. Lots were at the end of their economic life in the early mid 90s and no-one saw any value in them. I picked up mine in 1995/6 for 750 quid as it had a blown motor and even at 800 for an engine swap folk thought it was not worth it. Different story now of course. Over teh years I've spent a few 1000s but I hope to get it back when I sell it soon - more than you can say for most classics.

I'd love to know if Buddy is still around. I bought a 1979 2litre Westphalia when I sold Buddy. But, never had so much enjoyment from it as I did with the early bay. Nothing had power steering in those days, so the heavy steering on Buddy was not a factor and the brakes were heavy but adequate for the power. The Westphalia could cruise at 70 but was prone to breakdown regularly and it rusted far quicker???

Granite
Good mod adding the Litesteer, it’s made driving my bus so much easier! I’ve heard about Latebays rusting more than Earlybays. I think the steel was better in the earlier vehicles.

I expect it will have been scrapped. Lots were at the end of their economic life in the early mid 90s and no-one saw any value in them. I picked up mine in 1995/6 for 750 quid as it had a blown motor and even at 800 for an engine swap folk thought it was not worth it. Different story now of course. Over teh years I've spent a few 1000s but I hope to get it back when I sell it soon - more than you can say for most classics.
HI James,

I expect you're right, but Buddy was in good condition when I sold her. The bus was obviously kept running for a while as proved by the colour change. Orange, that's strange because the Westphalia I bought to replace Buddy was orange.

Granite

Yeah, the fact it's not been taxed for 30 years is the clincher for me. There's a slim chance that someone has it stuffed in the back of a shed/barn somewhere, but that someone probably doesn't visit here..

Latest posts