Whats wrong with late bays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me , its not hatred as such , I just prefer the curved look of the earlier buses , with the rounder bumper , vents etc , just my 2pennys worth :)

there are some parts of late bays i like more, so i guess ive got the best van for me...a crossover!

some of the late bay "improvements" just don't flow like the earlys, I can live with the back lights and vents ( well I would owning a crossover :roll: ) but the front indicators and bumpers just look like they've been taken off something else completely different and hurriedly stuck on to please the US legislators.

Having said that, Ive seen some lovely late bays lately, just none as good as an early.

late bays are ok in my book, hell i owned one up until about three weeks ago but they just dont look as good its like dating a frumpy geek when you could be dating a hot blond.

Pete

Pete B said:
As it says in the window of my lowered '67 bay,

'If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand'.

You must be an up your own arse type that makes me wonder then.

wibbler said:
some of the late bay "improvements" just don't flow like the earlys, I can live with the back lights and vents ( well I would owning a crossover :roll: ) but the front indicators and bumpers just look like they've been taken off something else completely different and hurriedly stuck on to please the US legislators.

Having said that, Ive seen some lovely late bays lately, just none as good as an early.

agree with that - the same with triumphs e.t.c. , once they started making them to appease the US regs it took away some of the flowing design (early spits over mk4/1500, Mk1/2 GT6 over Mk3 all around the same time 1972/73), same with EB's, they belong to the age of the curved design before the squares started being introduced 8)

EDIT: To answer the question! - nothing wrong with the later bays, still look the nuts!

Woah woah woah fella, I certainly did not to mean to come across in that way or to cause any offence! It's just that as some people don't 'get' rat look or lowered VDubs or T4's or any other variation of our beloved marque. Later bays, to me at least and I think a good few others, have really not got that vintage, old, cuddly appearance of the early busses. There are no doubt some splitty owners who feel the same about any bay, early or late.And bay owners who dislike t25's. A really good friend of mine runs a '76, Mike thinks the whole early/late thing is a lot of stuff and nonsence, maybe he is right?
And as for 'being up my own arse', fella you do not know me. I do not look differently at anyone for their own taste in VW's or anything else for that matter. Everone has an opinion and every opinion is as valid as the next. If I came across that way it was not intended and appologise if any missunderstanding or offence was caused.

I now have 2 late bays for sale so I think they are the most beautiful things, but of course my keeper is a '71 bus :mrgreen:

on the outside i much prefer the early look ... the indicators, bumpers, rear lights.

inside i like the later bays. not too keen on the mustard vinyl but like some of the late westy checks, especially the brown. and the late westy interior layouts.

Pete B said:

great quote, can be used in many everyday circumstances

love early bays for the tax free as its 2 fingers to those in power

Hoosier said:
Pete B said:

You must be an up your own arse type that makes me wonder then.

Not like you to jump like this,

Pete is a top fella with a very relaxed attitude, and I think he is right......not everyone would understand.

Summer is here ;)

Fair enough.
Sorry Pete B :oops: .
Got into VDubs about 5 years ago. My 1st was a late Bay. Driving to a show at Santapod with my missus n daughter and got a little bit of stick from a load of splitty owners as we drove past them. Found there to be a pecking order starting from splits then T2's then T25's etc since then.
Human nature i guess.

I had to explain this to the wife and told her to stop waving at T25's :shock:

its just not done...... well not with a full handful of fingers ;)

Latest posts