Whats wrong with late bays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries mate, certainly didn't want to upset anyone! Know what you mean about the 'pecking order', but that is only important to those who implement such a thing, the rest of us (you, me, most poeple) just get on and enjoy a common interest! Spent this weekend at EBI with a crew including bays, splits, a Golf and heaven forbid, a Clio! All had their reasons to be driving what they drove, breakdowns etc. We had a ball!
Hope to see you at an event soon and sink a beer or three. Cheers!

16yrs ago i was after a camper - hadnt a clue about Early or Late Bays to be honest and im sure back then there wasn't so much of a 'big deal' about them.

I really wanted a Split but couldn't afford one. A Bay was the answer. After 3 months of looking at loads in my price range (all Late bays) i ended up going for an 'older' one.
'70 Bay and tax wasn't free either!! A few yrs later free tax came in, which was a bonus. Still got the same bus and it still makes me smile :D
Got nothing against Late bays but Early ones have grown on me over the yrs and with the prices of all buses going up, im glad i bought one when i did.
Each to their own, i love all buses and appreciate the work that goes into them all 8)

Hoosier said:
Is it hatred or just fun banter?

There's nothing wrong with late bays....there's just an awful lot of them.
Unlike our very special early bays. ;)
I reckon its fun banter most of the time.
Each to there own,personally i'm open to all aircooled VW's.

Don't think that it is just an early late thing with Bays. When I had a split there was the same rivalry, I had a Barndoor which was a strange camp to be in, having a split was not good enough, it had to be a Barndoor (pre 55) even with them it was, who has the earliest. My 52 was one of the earliest in the country and I got fed up with a load of the crap that came with it. I think the Early bay has the best of all worlds and would never change, but a cool bus is a cool bus, Split, Bay, T25, T4 and T5. Same cool badge.

Jon

I agree with your sentiments, I like most VW's (I even drive a T5 as well for my business). I think the late/early debate is just down to personal choice, I prefer the low indicators and the step bumpers and I love the cresent shaped air intakes. We followed a late the other day on the way to Dover and the tall rear light cluster looks like it has been grafted on as an afterthought (which it was) and just doesn't suit the lines of the bus but ots all down to personal taste at the end of the day.

Rivalry exists with all modern cars, whose got the better spec or engine etc etc....................

I like EB's so much that I started a company selling the things :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Earlybays for many reasons. Firstly i prefer the look of an early bay to all others, late bays are cool and i used to own one, but prefer the low indicators, the air vents and general bulbness of an early bay, where as i dont like the bumpers etc of a late bay. Lots of style in an earlybay over the rest, kind of geek cool if you will. 8)

I always wanted a split as a kid, but im to big to fit in one comfortably and so decided i needed an alternative. Earlybays sorted me out in the current climate and them is me fav!

I am glad that i find splits to small or i would have one now and have much less cash in the pocket ;)

Well as far as im concerned, I dont mind a late bay, I would buy this one in an instant if it came up.
img00024oerz4.jpg

I think any car/van/tractor can be made to look good with a decent slam job and some good wheels.

AxlFoley said:
I think any car/van/tractor can be made to look good with a decent slam job and some good wheels.

Corsa? saxo? ;)

Ez

Chavtastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There's always this banter with people, we even have it in the EB scene. 'Is it a 67, does it have deluxe trim, is it a tin/pop top, my dash is better than yours, well mine's original' etc. The bottom line is, we all respect oneanother's passsion. That's where we differ from football fans (generalisation, I know). I love EB's but can also appreciate late's, the T2D slammed one is super sweet :mrgreen:

;) i like the stretched tyres tho :msn4:

i dont mind a late bay either..... but for me the look is a little like when the yanks made us change MGB chrome bumpers to those horrible rubber things....
kind of look the same..... but just not as nice!

:mrgreen:

I had a fat chick bay for 15 years before my current ride, so I can dig them .... if I had to choose another camper it would be a late US Champagne Westy, as they are the coolest 'factory' campers going, in my book 8) (after early Campmobiles, natch).
Theres plenty of cool late bays around - the Dutch prize winner at EBI and the T2D panel, for starters.

I get the same jip with my Squareback, being a '71 .... read any mag article on a Type 3 and they will, by default, feel obliged to slag off late models at some point. Que sera.

i cant stand the t2d panel.... its flookin 'orrible and i am sick of seeing pics of it on every website and in every magazine!!!! :x

and as for that saxo.... i just 'dont get' the whole stretched tyre thing?!? wtf.... one reverse park to close to the kerb and thats ya rims flooked!!!!!
reminds me...there was this scirroco at bristol, clem might have seen it, had 2 bike tyres on each front rim....with a gap in between... weird! :?:

thru_a_lupe said:
i cant stand the t2d panel.... its flookin 'orrible and i am sick of seeing pics of it on every website and in every magazine!!!! :x

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, have you actually seen it? It's cool :mrgreen:
It's not green though ;)

Latest posts