Wheel Arches are flat on my 1972 Crossover?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J4yman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
Just as a matter of interest. Should mine be Flat or rounded. All the Wing specs state the 72 should have rounded but mine are flat. Was wondering if mine was one that was a flat from a crossover or someone added them after the van needed some new ones.

sounds like the crossover mine are flat i have a nos off side one if you need it
bought it 18yrs ago klockenthingy one im at sandown this weekend if you are there
so could bring it along

sounds like the crossover mine are flat i have a nos off side one if you need it
bought it 18yrs ago klockenthingy one im at sandown this weekend if you are there
so could bring it along
Both are good it's just I had a conversation with someone earlier and they said they shouldn't be flat as the parts people say 72 - 79 are curved and not flat. If yours is a 72 and have flat I am happy they are the right ones. My M Plate says production was June 72 so I guess the 71 flat ones could have been left over and that's why. Glad yours has the flat too.

Hi J4yman, usually a crossover, from 8.71 to 7.72, has rounded wings. If you are sure that yours never have changed I could imagine that VW sometimes didn't have enough Parts in stock so they used older Parts.

Anyone have a picture of flat VS round? Do not know what my '72 T2ab has.

Hi Jonathan, her the difference between flat and round. I hooe it can be seen. I happen to have both versions. 20230317_192247.jpg20230317_192259.jpg20230317_192521.jpg20230317_192533.jpg20230317_192543.jpg

😳 I thought you meant the dog legs. how embarrassing... 😬

LOL

Thats exactly what I thought but I thought the rears, which is why I then popped a dog leg view on as well because I thought I’d cunked up. So I’m still none the wiser as to what ones we wanna see, but the dogs are totally flat and the rears have a tiny lip but it all gets a bit more flared as it goes on year by year.

Ozziedog,',,,,,,,,,, Now I really don’t know :) :ROFLMAO: :)

Or you can ask me :)
When I had to replace the front arches I could only get hold of the flat ones at the time at a reasonable price.
Should be rounded but I just wanted to sort it out (if you look in my thread you can see when they were changed as the original ones were rusted to f@ck and had repairs on top of repairs and about 10mm of filler....)

Or you can ask me :)
When I had to replace the front arches I could only get hold of the flat ones at the time at a reasonable price.
Should be rounded but I just wanted to sort it out (if you look in my thread you can see when they were changed as the original ones were rusted to f@ck and had repairs on top of repairs and about 10mm of filler....)
Ha ha top man Andy, I don't like to keep troubling you. Now I know though many thanks. I have been through the 80 odd pages a few times and my brain is small so it only handles little bits. But thanks. Thought they were too sharp to be original but thought it could have been a like for like repair. Makes sense to get moving if they were a decent price.

This reminds me of the era when only Late Bay front end replacement skins were available. It used to throw us off when we would attempt to identify what year it was.

When I bought my crossover I had one flat arch and one rounded, and didn't notice for about a month!!. The crossover arches are a one year only pattern, with the inner of an early bay and the rounded outer of a late bay. They can be found at JK and Heritage, but as you expect they are more expensive than a standard arch.

When I bought my crossover I had one flat arch and one rounded, and didn't notice for about a month!!. The crossover arches are a one year only pattern, with the inner of an early bay and the rounded outer of a late bay. They can be found at JK and Heritage, but as you expect they are more expensive than a standard arch.
That's good to know. I don't need them changing but if they ever do then I will be getting some. Thanks

Latest posts