Wheel/tyre wows.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilswheels

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Westy,
So, I've lowered my bus and I have some MWS Gasburners to put on it. After trying a 205 70 tyre and seeing there was no way it would ever fit, I've gone with the heard and tried a 195 instead. Its as tight as the proverbial ducks arse! Literally a fag paper between the tyre wall and the arch when its on the floor, and about 2mm up in the inner arch, and its defo gonna hit that plastic thing if i get some weight in it (its basically an empty bus at the mo, no interior) Theres plenty of room on the spring plate, double the stock rim. Is this normal? cant believe the offset on these rims, it seems to be the common size, but its all wrong!

Hi Chris, 6 inch backspacing, measures at ET20, pretty normal stuff!

I'm currently thinking of using 2 of my 7x17 fusch copies and getting them narrowed to 6, then get 2 15's for the front. It wasn't supposed to be this difficult!

Edit: just thinking about this, although the boxes are marked backspacing 6, how can they be on a 5.5 inch rim, so tape out, its 3.5 inches still gives an et of about 20 tho, same as everything else.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Wheel-SSP-Gas-Burner-TUV-Black-polished-5-130-5-5x15-ET45-AC601030BP_act_shop.product_pID_107272087.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our Gas Burners are ET 45 ;) :mrgreen:

Its all about finding the right wheels to fit the tyres you want,

I ended up getting a pair of 6" wide erco's split rouhgly 2" forward and 4" back to run 205/70/15's on my bus.

Alex VW Heritage said:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Wheel-SSP-Gas-Burner-TUV-Black-polished-5-130-5-5x15-ET45-AC601030BP_act_shop.product_pID_107272087.htm?crumbStartPage=1

I ended up getting a pair of 6" wide erco's split rouhgly 2" forward and 4" back to run 205/70/15's on my bus.

He must have 5x112 Alex.

radish said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Wheel-SSP-Gas-Burner-TUV-Black-polished-5-130-5-5x15-ET45-AC601030BP_act_shop.product_pID_107272087.htm?crumbStartPage=1

He must have 5x112 Alex.

:lol: Good point, I just assumed, which we all know is the mother of all ............

Alex VW Heritage said:

Ah, yes, 5 on 112. Nice idea though, why does no one make them in this perfect offset for a bus??

So to get widest possible tyres on you need 5x130...? I did not know that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Humphrey said:
So to get widest possible tyres on you need 5x130...? I did not know that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...if they have the better off set. Oh, then change all your brakes to Porsche stud pattern as adapters will kick the wheels back out! Still cant believe no one makes a bolt on 15 inch wheel with a descent offset.

Little update tho, despite the fag paper clearance, I drove the bus the other day, and nothing rubs, so I could get away with this if I wanted to, but I've decided to go with the 17 Fusch copies on the back now, using a small spacer and longer studs will give me the clearance on the adjustable spring plate.

Latest posts