Where can you buy seat springs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a spring for my seat that has snapped? I also need the shaped foam that sits on the top edge of the seat frame as my frame had broken, shredding the foam. This is not the hair/foam pads that cover the springs, just a from piece that covers the very top of the frame, are these parts available?

Mags

I don't know about the spring but someone was looking for the piece at the top on here a few months ago. I'm afraid that I can't remember much more than they were having difficulty getting one.

One of mine was pretty damaged but we used glue and a lot of duck tape to hold it together.

If yours is irreparable I suggest that you put a wanted ad on here.

Seat pads are available from the usual suppliers and under £30ea

Springs need to be bought second hand but I have seen a spring from a domestic armchair used one (one of the 8 side springs), otherwise you can't weld them so perhaps repair it like I once saw in Practical classics about 20yrs ago -sleeve it. No idea how good this is but at the time it looked a good solution.

Just find another at a 'Swap Meet' you do have them over there? Right? Mine were broke too :cry: Talk about a 'Butt ache' on the first loooooog drive :lol:
$20 at the 1st swap I went to this year 8) 8) Needs new cover but the foundation/springs was good

Split bus seat springs are like beetle ones so rather different to bay ones -search for an image of a splitscreen seat and you'll see what I mean

bodge it!!
been working for a year now and not come apart!
hollow tubing used as a sleeve.
DSC08762.jpg

I finished mine a few weeks ago. Stripped the chair down and then replaced a couple of broken springs with these. The ones in the seat had a bend but easy to do with a pair of mole grips and a vice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-UPHOLSTERY-SERPENTINE-ZIGZAG-SPRINGS-25-SEAT-SETTEE-CHAIR-ACCESSORIES-r-/121349449613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

The top seat padding is impossible to get hold of (at least I couldn't find it) so I cut foam and used lots of duct tape to make the shape. I also added a couple of bits of stiffer foam between the front frame and the top to make the top of the seat a bit stiffer.

Also replaced the seat padding and used a backing to stop it breaking down on the springs.

It looks great and is a massive improvement on how they were if anything it's a bit too high now as i was used to the sagging old one :)

Latest posts