• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Where have all the westfalia beds gone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denbay66

Reaction score
Having had a devon bay that I bought for £50 in 1996 and rebuilt for what looks a quite reasonable £2.5K, I moved to Italy in 2001 for work. Stupidly I sold the van as I thought RHD would be too much hassle in a country of dodgem drivers. During those pre ebay days tracking parts was not easy but fun and prices were also not as inflated. The best buy I made was a full westy continental interior for £150 (from a farm in Somerset) finishing the van internally to the same high standard that the paint job did externally.

Roll on 8 years now back in the UK where the world of vw has changed. I spent a year tracking down the right van at a reasonable price........... a 1972 crossover tintop, stock engine I am very pleased with my purchase; (45k miles from new) only slight rust on the rain water channels and limited welding required - a new battery tray. I am now starting work on transforming the van for how I want to use it (daily runner family holidays). I am not a traditionalist and not preserving the van in its original condition, rather it will be a one off. The paint job that I have just completed will not be to everyones taste (Aston Martin Green 1972) and removing the Danbury interior is questionable however for me a full width westfalia continental rock and roll is the bed of choice.

After trying to track a Continental full width bed down for the best part of six months I am struggling, the only ones that I have seen have been part of complete interiors (and priced accordingly), 3/4 width or collection from the outer hebrides (or nearby). I am therfore requesting assistance if anyone is aware of a bed for sale. I am based in Bristol but can travel to collect (preferably not to outer hebrides).

As a last resort from the new bed market, bluebird seems to be the best around, has anyone any experience of them?

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer will be much appreciated

Dennis

denbay66 said:
Having had a devon bay that I bought for £50 in 1996 and rebuilt for what looks a quite reasonable £2.5K, I moved to Italy in 2001 for work. Stupidly I sold the van as I thought RHD would be too much hassle in a country of dodgem drivers. During those pre ebay days tracking parts was not easy but fun and prices were also not as inflated. The best buy I made was a full westy continental interior for £150 (from a farm in Somerset) finishing the van internally to the same high standard that the paint job did externally.

Roll on 8 years now back in the UK where the world of vw has changed. I spent a year tracking down the right van at a reasonable price........... a 1972 crossover tintop, stock engine I am very pleased with my purchase; (45k miles from new) only slight rust on the rain water channels and limited welding required - a new battery tray. I am now starting work on transforming the van for how I want to use it (daily runner family holidays). I am not a traditionalist and not preserving the van in its original condition, rather it will be a one off. The paint job that I have just completed will not be to everyones taste (Aston Martin Green 1972) and removing the Danbury interior is questionable however for me a full width westfalia continental rock and roll is the bed of choice.

After trying to track a Continental full width bed down for the best part of six months I am struggling, the only ones that I have seen have been part of complete interiors (and priced accordingly), 3/4 width or collection from the outer hebrides (or nearby). I am therfore requesting assistance if anyone is aware of a bed for sale. I am based in Bristol but can travel to collect (preferably not to outer hebrides).

As a last resort from the new bed market, bluebird seems to be the best around, has anyone any experience of them?

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer will be much appreciated

Dennis

Not sure what he's got at the moment, but might be worth calling VW evolution, they're in wiltshire so not too far away.

i got one from here a while ago, 1974 i think ... full width. cost about £225 delivered as i recall.

http://www.vwbusparts.freeserve.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wasn't advertised on the site, i e-mailed to ask.

I have the full width Bluebird one as part of a Vanwurks interior and am pretty happy with it :D

dont suppose you've got the danbury overhead locker for sale :D i lost mine when my 72 Danbury Tintop crossover went on fire (rest of the interior was removed), getting a replacement bus soon and wanted to put my remaining danbury interior in, as i had got used to the idea of having a danbury interior.

p.s. get some pics up of your bus. im a big fan of the green bus :mrgreen:

One on latebay:

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?action=unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks for your responses, finally a bed has turned up at a fair price, further north than Birmingham though so I will need to get my winter coat out.

I am afraid the Danbury overhead locker will be staying as its removal will cause too much damage to a perfect head liner. The Danbury rear bench seat however will be available, it is in good condition. The two buddy seats I have yet to decide on, Cushions are original some are good others need recovering.

As a couple of people have asked I will stick some photos up shortly (and be braced for the comments on colour and taste from the purists).

One final question I need to get some panels recovered and read on here sometime ago of a place near Bristol that did a good job at a reasonable price?

Again thanks for your help.

I successfully tracked down the westfalia full width bed i was after, very pleased with it, and now starting work on its overhaul. Unfortunately there was no engine bay cushion, On the off chance that anyone has one I would be interested.

Cheers

Dennis

denbay66 said:
I successfully tracked down the westfalia full width bed i was after, very pleased with it, and now starting work on its overhaul. Unfortunately there was no engine bay cushion, On the off chance that anyone has one I would be interested.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello
If anyone still looking for a westy bed I have just seen one on ebay 130533245524

Latest posts