where would I get an uprated alternator from?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
I'm after a 75amp + alternator, thought most of the usual suspects would have them but it seems not??

so anyone know where I can get mine treated to new 'guts' to make it larger amps or where I buy such a thing, VWparts.net list a 90amp but the shipping is enormous......

thanks in advance!

Watching for replies as I have also looked for 75amp alternator conversion kits but they don't seem to be about anymore, just lower amperage ones.. :msn4:

I'm waiting on a order quote from the states...I have a friend who can buy for me but he'd be charged 10% sales tax - although I may be able to get around that.

leave it with me.....

Take you wouldn't want a polished one?

Polished sounds expensive?!

I'm not desperate for one though chap, I just wanted to note where you can get them from.

I have loads left to do to the shell before work on the engine :(

M7 removed them from their range as they were unreliable and they had lots of returns....

I'll check JK and Heritage - I think they are the Empi ones that have proved unreliable.

Can you rewind an alternator like the tag lines on auto elec companies suggests as when I rang a local one they said - it's impossible and would be new internals??

I have found the link for bearings now so I could redo my existing but would like to know if I could get a better output, just so when I have a leisure battery I can charge it quicker [ although I have seen suggestion that those type of batteries have a restricted recharge capacity??]

cheers peeps

I've got a 75amp one from Heritage, but was a nightmare to fit. I think they had quite a few issues with returns as well.

Hey chaps,

I had my '74 1800 alternator rebuilt to 70amp by my auto electrician. I'm not sure exactly what he replaced, armature or something like that??

I'd phone around some auto electricians, preferably someone who knows their way around kombis.

Will

Platinum Will said:
Hey chaps,

I had my '74 1800 alternator rebuilt to 70amp by my auto electrician. I'm not sure exactly what he replaced, armature or something like that??

I'd phone around some auto electricians, preferably someone who knows their way around kombis.

Will

I looked into with a little help from google - it is quite complicated and involves motor theory which I did years and years ago, delta or star wired, turn ratios and stuff.....it looks possible but I'd need to find someone who could actually do it.....