I hear noises?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes we have a very very unwelcome visitor in our noisy cupboard. Sounds a bit like the bumpers rattling on the ends where they wobble in time to the throb of the motor. So I’ve popped the belt off and the noise is gone. Eureka!!! We has found him, well maybe, could be the fan or the alternator. So it’s gotta come to pieces before said alternator grinds to his death like a lemming at lunchtime. Prime time for an Ozzie thought, so I’ve read that most peeps pull everything to pieces then pull the four studs out that hold the alternator stand on and replace them with bolts to make it easier bin future attempts??? So what am I missing here ? Would it not be easier to get a couple of nuts and lock them together and pull the studs out right from the get go? Or smack the threads above the nut with a small cold chisel then undo it all, Or cut a nut in half to do the same, or go all technical and crunch some mole grips on and get the little fluckers straight out of there?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,answers on a post card please.

Be careful as the engine case metal is softer than the steel studs. I would have thought the double nut method would work to wind out the studs.
Cheers Mike, that is always the issue with studs in ally, but if peeps take them out and replace them with bolts somewhere along the line , then why not do it before all the wrestling commences and make it easy on yourself. Might even bolt it in but not specifically tight then make sure it’s all working then re bolt with lock tight perhaps.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,still trying to organise what my opinion is :unsure:

Get down that garage Ozzie boy. It’s flippin windy out there, I don’t think I’ll be leaving my garage door open, not when I’m under the van with my shorts on anyway.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,does conjur up an image don’t it :ninja:

Be careful as the engine case metal is softer than the steel studs. I would have thought the double nut method would work to wind out the studs.
That’s how I did mine last year, but I was fitting Twin Webers, Cooling Flaps, CSP Bellcrank etc, so had a nice clear run at it 👍

Yup double nut it and I dont mean a Barnsley hand shake! It might be hard to line up on reassemble though.

Got three out yesterday but I’m struggling with the awkward one at the back on the left, filed down a couple of nuts in the end and tried to double nut it and superglue at the same time. The superglue worked well on the first one, then it kept sticking to my gloves and I couldn’t get the second nut on nicely because the superglue had blocked the top of the thread. I’ll leave it curing until I can get down there tomorrow. Either it worked or I’m off to plan three hundred and eleven. Plan three hundred and eleven involves sliding a junior hack saw through the gap and making a screw driver slot into the stud through the nut. Might even put a new blade in for that. Then we’ll see if we can screw driver it out. Leave it to my day off tomorrow and we’ll see how the glue went.🫡

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,conjuring up three twelve over a few pints tonight :)

P.S. I’m thinking Allen heads on bolts to re fix as that’ll be a good look and should simplify removal / replacement in future. Just gotta go steady with the ally case. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,all a bit of fun though 🤭

Winding bolts in and out of the soft case can often cause material to drop down from the threads into the case and the internals of the engine which is why vw didn’t use bolts themselves.

Winding bolts in and out of the soft case can often cause material to drop down from the threads into the case and the internals of the engine which is why vw didn’t use bolts themselves.
Hi bud, hopefully it’ll just be this once and if I use loctite blue, not red or green then I’ll hopefully come out of it unscathed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Hopefully is the key word :)

I did the alternator last year without removing the stand... I have no idea what I did or have any photos but I do remember that it was a lot easier to put in than take out. It took less than a summers evening... (helpful)

Carb was off, fan housing lose (four screws), large screwdriver under fan housing to lift it up almost to top of engine bay. All manifolds in place... wiggle, swear.

Hi bud, hopefully it’ll just be this once and if I use loctite blue, not red or green then I’ll hopefully come out of it unscathed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Hopefully is the key word :)
I mean general crud out of the material of the case itself. If you’re going do it then don’t put any locking compound at all. Spring & flat washers on each bolt will be sufficient.

I mean general crud out of the material of the case itself. If you’re going do it then don’t put any locking compound at all. Spring & flat washers on each bolt will be sufficient.
Oh, okay. That’s brilliant. I bow to your engineering expertise. I’m not gonna try and make a habit of this. I’ll try and sort it this once then hopefully it’ll last forever and a week. What do you think would be better? Allen head screws / bolts or new studs glued in with loctite soft ?
I did the alternator last year without removing the stand... I have no idea what I did or have any photos but I do remember that it was a lot easier to put in than take out. It took less than a summers evening... (helpful)

Carb was off, fan housing lose (four screws), large screwdriver under fan housing to lift it up almost to top of engine bay. All manifolds in place... wiggle, swear.
It’s the fan housing that worried / concerned me but I’ve no idea why. Most of the guys on some forums were saying it’s easier just to pop the motor out and that’s how I got started. A few said it’s doable with your exact method but I thought this would be simpler. Now,,,,, I dunno. I’m getting good practice at getting studs out and that’s for sure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,absolutely appreciate everybody helping out here with ideas and stuff :)

Oh, okay. That’s brilliant. I bow to your engineering expertise. I’m not gonna try and make a habit of this. I’ll try and sort it this once then hopefully it’ll last forever and a week. What do you think would be better? Allen head screws / bolts or new studs glued in with loctite soft ?

It’s the fan housing that worried / concerned me but I’ve no idea why. Most of the guys on some forums were saying it’s easier just to pop the motor out and that’s how I got started. A few said it’s doable with your exact method but I thought this would be simpler. Now,,,,, I dunno. I’m getting good practice at getting studs out and that’s for sure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,absolutely appreciate everybody helping out here with ideas and stuff :)
Well that’s a somewhat sarcastic reply 🤨 I was genuinely trying to prevent you from causing yourself possible issues further down the line, you carry on 👍🏻

Well that’s a somewhat sarcastic reply 🤨 I was genuinely trying to prevent you from causing yourself possible issues further down the line, you carry on 👍🏻
K@rlos,,, I really wasn’t intending or even hinting at being sarcastic. I’m not sure how you got that vibe. I was already started and part way into this project before I started grasping around for straws and help. Really sorry if I came across as sarcastic as I did not mean too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,apologies again.

Latest posts