Which bay conversion for camping?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveangel

Reaction score
I have approx £3k - £6 to spend on a bay window camper for camping only purposes. I am still slightly confused as to the differences between the two main conversions (Devon+Westy). I understand that the Westy's are german converted and the Devons are UK converted and vary in quality. Here are my requirements/concerns:

- I have wife + two small kids
- I want a poptop of some description.
- Ideally the poptop should be able to house the two kids (ideally one double bed up top).
- Double bed pull out required
- I want room on the top for a small roofrack to give extra space (so no 'full length' poptops)
- I don't like the way some bays (or all?) have the back quarter window blanked out due to a wardrobe. I seem to remember seeing a conversion that did not have a wardrobe (could be wrong!).
- Type 4 engine

Can anyone give any advice about sleeping arrangements with the kids? Is it worth just forgetting about the poptop for sleeping and simply pop an awning on the side for more space/comfort? If so, I quite like the idea of the small 'turret' style poptops, but not sure which conversion these came with.

One of my concerns is the cruising speed. I want to sit comfortably at 70mph without the engine screaming! I believe that the pre 1972 all had type 1 engines but the type 2 engines were only an option from this year onwards? How common are they?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Maybe your better reading the history section first see which suits you then post specific Q's

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewforum.php?f=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if your still confused theres a two great books by David Eccles with just about every camping conversion for Splits and Bays in them.

works conversions....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camper-Inside-Story-Conversions-1951-2005/dp/1861267630/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222772328&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and bespoke ones...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VW-Camper-Inspirational-Interiors-Interior/dp/1847970702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222772328&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Johnny. The Devon definately seems the way to go for me. I genuinely cant see the appeal of the wardrobe wasting space and making things seem claustrophobic.

- Roughly what percentage of Devons were RHD
- It was mentioned that the later years started to go down in quality in terms of the interior. Were there any main differences in layout for later year bays?
- Am I right in saying that not all Devons have poptops?
- What is a leisure battery?

Thanks

-later years had a different arrangement of cooker sink and table, with this as a one complete unit being placed opposite the sliding door. Personally i dont think the later years used as good quality raw materials.
-not sure what percentage were RHD but i would say almost all as the works were based in sidmouth devon.
-You can have tintop (solid roof) devons yes :D
-A leisure battery is a secondary deep cycle battery to run appliances when your parked up. It charges off the alternator when the bus is running and stops your main battery from going flat if you want to run things like a tv etc. Its normally installed with a split charge system.

My advice if you want the kids to get a comfortable nights sleep is to go for a westfalia, not the very early ones with the hammock bed in the roof the later one with the fold down deck with a proper mattress.

I have very vivid childhood memories of sleeping (or trying to) in the bunk in the top of a devon and freezing my nuts off all night.

The problem with hammocks is, one they are narrow fine while your kids are young, and two they offer no insulation underneath unless you also take along foam mattresses.

I would advise a westfalia continental these had a double bed in the roof and some had a full width rock and roll bed.

have a look round at a couple of shows.

I have put a Westfalia continental interior in my 69, ok not the correct interior for it but my bus my rules :D . But i find this interior is spot on got a wooden double bunk up top with mattress a full width rock & roll bed in the back, fridge, sink and cooker and loads of storage space and also got a full 4 berth awning and a sun canopy depending on where we're going.
Plus westy interiors are top quality :mrgreen:

If you have the time and you're not bothered by originality, you could buy any pop top bus (or a tin top and add a pop top)and fit your own interior. there is always bits and bobs of different interiors available - just cherry pick the cupboards/fittings that suit you.To some this would be criminal - to others - purley functional. just a suggestion :)

don't forget the Dormobile in all this,I personally prefer them to a Devon - just my opinion - pop top, over head bunks, pull out double bed,sink,cooler, mini wardrobe, cooker.

hth - Rob & Doris

Either an early bay Devon with a Moonraker interior, although the upstairs are two bunks.
Late bay Devon interiors are cheap rubbish.

In reality it sound like a Westfalia Continental (the same as I am currently restoring) is ideal. It does I'm afraid mean you are going to have to go late bay,

I've got both the above and there are better points about each set up. The Devon is a bit more 'airy' but the upstairs is less comfortable for the little 'uns. Also putting together a jigsaw bed after consuming eight pints of old nasty will no doubt end in a domestic.

The Westy's are altogether better put together than anything else. The bed is a dream, and I'm told that upstairs will easily cope with two adults getting jiggy!!!

In the end my Wife prefers the Westy for actual use, whereas the Devon (and the early van it's built around) feel a lot more vintage. The Westy feels like it was built yesterday and doesn't seem to have aged at all.

Dormobile for the win ;)
Sleeps 5, can fit 2 roof racks & no wardrobe blocking window & RHD.

To get a genuine type 4 engined early you will need to look for 72 & upwards (probably more common in an import on a 72 which is unlikely to be a dormobile), although there are plenty of converted earlies.

Lets not forget the viking super king. Loads of space up there, my boys sleep in the double bed end up there, then there is the single at the front and two single's ish ones along the sides. Loads of sleeping and storage room up there.

Roof looks uguly but loads of space up there.

rustydiver said:
Lets not forget the viking super king. Loads of space up there, my boys sleep in the double bed end up there, then there is the single at the front and two single's ish ones along the sides. Loads of sleeping and storage room up there.

Remember looking at it at vanfest, there is as you say plenty of space up there ;)

Loxy said:
rustydiver said:

Remember looking at it at vanfest, there is as you say plenty of space up there ;)

Yea at least i didnt try killing you when looked at my van. Only gave you my old rubbish beam to take away.

rustydiver said:
Yea at least i didnt try killing you when looked at my van. Only gave you my old rubbish beam to take away.

That seems to be a more recent phenomenon (I wont mention the time haveacamper nearly skewered my head with a screwdriver :lol: )
Beam is *still* awaiting narrowing in the garage :oops:

Back on topic :lol:

daveangel - where are you located?
might be able to meet up with an EBer for a butchers at their van?

Latest posts