Which Bus Books?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie

Reaction score
Hi,

My bus - 1971 Deluxe will be ready for me in about two months and I am wanting to maintain it (as much as possible) myself.

The body and chassis appear very sound and there are no rust issues, so I am mainly interested in keeping the 'rest of it' (technical term there :roll: ) going and maintained (I also need to fit the interior out).

I've found the following books that look promising and wondered if they are a good choice for the first time bus (and beginner) owner to get? Or are there better ones out there I should be buying?

Here are the ones I've found are they all worth a go or will some just be doubling up on the same or similar stuff? I want to put my spare funds into the bus itself and not a VW library (but I need technical and basic books for reference and help) so let me know what you would suggest please.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1845840933/westerncrete-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0856966606/westerncrete-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566913101/westerncrete-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ATB :)

Have never seen the first one so cannot comment.
I use the Haynes manual and have found no need for anything else for basic maintainance/repairs.
The last one, 'How to keep your vw alive', again I have not used it but believe it to be a rather old publication (which may be a good thing?) and people seem to have varying opinions of some of its content.
There is a US produced manual, forget the name, (Bently?) which is reconed to be really good but think it's on the expensive side.
Not a very conclusive reply I'm afraid, sure others can be of more help.
A lot will depend though, on how mechanically minded you are in the first place.

I have purchased two publications:

Idiots guide to keeping VW alive (John Muir)

This is a contentious one as it's a publication based on one man's view of VW's (not bus specific) (JM is also no longer with us) and is based on his interpretation of what's good/bad and various ways to do things, it's great as it explains a lot about how stuff works - I use this in conjunction with:

Bentley manual for Type 2

This really is the nuts (not cheap though) and is a proper workshop manual going into pretty much everything to do with your bus - including component strip down/reassembly - it doesn't explain in idiots guide what things are for but the above book supports the bentley and gives you a sense-check if something in Bentley isn't clear

The term "buyabentley" gets thrown around when people ask simple questions on other forums (samba/Vzi) and it's true - it answers a lot of information - it's my recommendation

Thanks for your input chaps.

When you say Bentley manual for Type 2 do you mean this book? (My bus is a 1971 left hooker)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Station-Official-Service-Manual/dp/0837616352/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281613536&sr=1-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few different Bently books on Amazon. :?

As to how mechanically minded I am? I'm not! Its going to be a steep learning curve for me but I see that as all part of the hobby as the bus will not be relied on as a daily drive (so no pressures in that it must be fixed by tomorrow etc) - its purely there for fun.

Thanks mate I will get it ordered along with the other one that you have.

I will pick up the other two in my list at a later date.

ATB :)

Bit scabby but cheap!

eBay item no' 300455209403

Bentley for a few quid.

bently, haynes and an autodata which is exceptional for exploded diagrams and pics in general (very old school)

Latest posts