Which carbs? ICT or IDF?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
So, I've finally started the engine build for my 71.
Engine Spec.
1641, Engle 110, Balanced bottom end, external filter.
VS exhaust, Pertronix Disributor.

I have a pair of 34 ICT's and a pair of 36 IDF's.

Which carbs would people recommend are most suitable for my build.

Not planning to scream the engine, 4000rpm max, want a nice reliable bullet proof lump.

Discuss........

I've ran both, the ICTs are easier to set up and will be trouble free, the IDFs will make more power, will drink more fuel and will need tinkering time. On a 1641 I'd go ICTs and keep it simple

I have ICT's on my 1641 and I'm pleased with the way it runs. Never ran IDF's though so can't comment on those.

As an aside from my limited research I thought a 100 cam was better for bays as the torque is lower down the rev range

ICT's for me too!
Been a massive improvement over the standard single carb setup!
Although wouldnt say no to some 36dells - as they do look lovely

The pro's for the IDF's are the extra power, but the cons are the fact that they are thirstier and need tweaking and tinkering

The pro's for the ICT's are that they are pretty much fit and forget, and they don't drink as much juice yet will give me an increase in power but the cons is that they don't give as much power as the IDF's.

I've got the ICT's here, so will strip them and rebuild, whilst also checking the jetting.

At the moment it looks like I will be selling the IDF's and the manifolds on.

Woah! Missed the bit where you said you had both.

IDFs then. They look awesome 8)

I'm will be running 40s on my 1776 Square

mr scoops said:
The pro's for the IDF's are the extra power, but the cons are the fact that they are thirstier and need tweaking and tinkering

NO THEY DON'T!!! :roll: A correctly set up pair of IDF's will make the most of the motor, will give good mpg and stay in tune.

The only reason people have issues is because they don't know what they are doing. Last touched my 48's in January, done about 6000 miles including Ninove and they are still fine.

I had 44IDF's on my 2007cc lump when I had my cabrio.
All was good with them except one day when they decided to tick over at around 3500rpm.
Got them tuned the once and they behaved impeccably from then on.

I've now swung over to selling the ICT's and fitting the IDF's........ LOL!

Keep on with the advice guys!

I run 48 IDFs on my 2332 bug and have a set of 36 IDFs on my 1600 bus. I had both rolling roaded and set up about 4 years ago. I go back to the same guy and he's never had to touch them, they are both genuine weber. I get 26-28 mpg out of the 2332 and 32 mpg out of the 1600. I know some mates who don't even get that from a stock carb.

Properly jetted and setup IDFs are hard to beat. And its great fun scaring the shit out of the chavs when i blow past them on the M-way doing 90 :satanlook: ahem... i mean 70 officer.

Latest posts