Which Engine Coolant

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbmkk

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 1989 VW T3 California (1.6 Turbo Diesel) and have had to buy a new coolant reservoir as there was a small crack in the original when I bought the van (2 weeks ago).

Now the reservoir tank is fitted, I have to get some coolant too.

What type do I need, for the van mentioned.

I've just been to my local Halfords and they had not in stock, but stated I needed "Comma Extreme G48" They only sell it in 5 litre bottles, which seems a heck of a lot.

Is there recommendation right, or will something else do ?

Many thanks

Brian

If I remember correctly, T25 cooling systems have a capacity of something like 18litres?! Due to the pipes running fully front-to-back in the van...

Try Euro Car Parts, or even your local VW dealership (even if they're too expensive at the dealers, they should tell you what exact coolant you need!)

Just like sparkywig says - you do need to get the right stuff.

Try http://www.club80-90.co.uk/ - They'll know for sure :)

the coolant system holds 17.5 litres you must use a phosphate free coolant which prevents frost and corrosion damage the formation of chalk and in addition raises the boiling point of water which is an aid to operational efficiancy..when replacing antifreeze/coolant in all volksagen models all model years use phosphate free coolant/antifreeze...zvw237-102..vw part no{info taken from robert bentley officail factory repair manual 1980-1991 including diesal syncro and camper] this coolant can be purchased from g,s,f hope this helps :mrgreen:

Latest posts