Who to buy a new engine from?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy from some one like Alex at Heritage(other suppliers are available) :lol:
The only reason I say this is the guarantee, at least if you did it right
they will look after you and your hard earned pennies.

J & P
:D :D :D

I'm going to buy a brand new 1641 SSP Twin port from Alex at VW Heritage sometime in the new year, I have been following a lot of the threads on here and come to the conclusion that rebuilt units are a bit of a gamble and you have to be prepared to take a chance, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not.
At least buying from a recognised dealer gives you some form of assurance, not a cheap option by any means but I guess you get what you pays for, and by some outside chance something does go wrong, somebody would I hope would be at the other end of the line to pick up the phone if you have to make that dreaded phone call.

Just my thoughts

Mike

Well then,,, I have been trying to clock up some miles on my new motor before posting on the forum, I did exactly what they have said above ^^^, I got a brand NEW !!!! 1641 from Alex at VW Heritage. My main man Nick phoned Alex for a chat and weighed up all the variables and between the three of us that is what we cooked up 8) At least I think I got a say in it :shock: :lol: :shock: but what was relayed to me made perfect sense. Once the decision was made, the motor was out to us in next to no time, and despite my best efforts at buggering everything up by supplying lots of various bits (all wrong) Nick managed to get the motor in and the van back to me. Unfortunately because of work limitations. I haven`t wacked loads of miles on it yet and am still being very timid with it while running it in. So far I have two hundred or so miles on it and I can feel it is strong but have yet to whip all them ponies :shock: :? :shock: .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Correct decision as far as I`m concerned :mrgreen:

we got a 1776 from heratage last year as a compromise as wanted bigger and better but funds were limited, the motor has done 4500 miles without a major glitch, had a push rod tube problem but that wasnt the engines fault TBH , havent put hardly any oil in and its bone dry. only thing i would say is chance the valve covers for og ones as mine were after market and not straight so did weep, after that havent had a problem at all.

if i had to do it again i would get a reputable builder to make a nice 1915 but that would be more expense, im happy with it for now at least.

john

Agreed about the repro valve covers.

Both mine leaked and I had them off to tweak them at least five times. Eventually I got one to be straight enough to stop it leaking but I had to give up on the other and use an old original.

Vw engine company in London. We've fitted at least 12 of their engines without issue. 12 mth warranty too.

I had an engine built by Jason at Interpro in Bristol. It has proved to be bomb proof and has never missed a beat. A few other folks on here have had engines built by Jason and he is always highly recommended.

marsh said:
I had an engine built by Jason at Interpro in Bristol. It has proved to be bomb proof and has never missed a beat. A few other folks on here have had engines built by Jason and he is always highly recommended.

This^^^^ Jase builds all of mine and all have been spot on, wether its just a standard 1600 or a 2110 turbo they are all awesome :) give him a bell and tlk through a million options!

Vege.

They've been building them for at least 25 years, 12 months unlimited miles warranty.

Rebuilding engines is not rocket science. If all old parts are within spec then no reason not to re-use OG parts. Of course there aren't many OG engine cores left for the likes of vege to rebuild which is why the new all new engines are readily available.

I'm about to order a 1776 from vege.

Lee

Latest posts