Who to trust fitting new clutch?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bears Dad

Reaction score
Morning all

It’s new clutch time… can anybody whole-heartedly recommend (cos they’ve actually done real work for you - not just a friend of your neighbour’s cat that you’ve heard once changed the oil on a Beetle) a VERY competent and EQUALLY reliable garage that could do the work?
Distance is no problem - very happy to travel for the right contacts.

Cheers

Trust yourself.
Armed with the idiots guide to VW book and a weekend you should easily be able to do it. It will give you a better insight into your Bus’s mechanicals you can really have a look around to familiarise yourself and most of all building your self confidence and less reliance on others.
It’s actually fun taking the engine out and so much easier than expected.
Give it a go, I’m positive you can do it.
If you have any questions just post on here you’ll get lots of great help.
All the best!
Andy

All guys mentioned thus far are sold choices. For travel/convenience from Bucks then maybe Retro Custom www.retrocustom.com might be a good shout?

If you are in Midlands Johnson Autoworks, thats where my bus goes when it needs work.

Trust yourself.
Armed with the idiots guide to VW book and a weekend you should easily be able to do it. It will give you a better insight into your Bus’s mechanicals you can really have a look around to familiarise yourself and most of all building your self confidence and less reliance on others.
It’s actually fun taking the engine out and so much easier than expected.
Give it a go, I’m positive you can do it.
If you have any questions just post on here you’ll get lots of great help.
All the best!
Andy
Agreed.. but it's more of a pita if you have twin carbs to manoeuvre the motor out of the bay plus you need a smooth flat surface to roll out the engine and a decent trolley jack and ideally a 'cradle'of some kind between the jack and the engine..

..saying that it's hardly like working on a Ferrari so any old school back-street garage should be able to it, if they've ever done a Beetle they can do a Bay easily.

Latest posts