Winter project lists

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl1971

Reaction score
About to enter my second winter of ownership and thinking 'what next to do with my Bay?'

Last year I had the standard 1600 engine out, found original missing tinware in various corners of UK the previous owner forgot to fit around her stanard beetle engine, fitted new exhaust and exchangers, new plugs, new leads, corrected valve clearances, new belt, fuel air and oil filters etc and gave her a 'good clean' and had a lot of fun learning rules of good maintenance with my trusted haynes manual and a helpful knowledgeable fellow dubber

Having had a great summer on road and many reliable trips away she is now asleep for winter and I wondered if I could benefit from a list of suggested jobs that won't break the bank.

If I could make a wish list I would like to;

I've bought but not yet fitted a new electronic ignition and coil - so doing that's a given, but unsure about impact it will have on performance/running
Improve power without breaking the bank as she does struggle to get more than 50 - 55mph but hey, who cares? (ask the family that when we climbed a few mountains in Wales this summer)
Fit a leisure battery/sort wiring out - its like a bag of spaghetti in places so useful guides or sources to help
Toying with the idea of fitting a stereo up front for those essential tunes, none at present
Upgrade brakes if upgrading power i guess

Any advice suggestions for further research would be greatly appreciated

cheers

K

Karl1971 said:
About to enter my second winter of ownership and thinking 'what next to do with my Bay?'

its alright for some ivjust gone 4years with mine and imstill trying to figure out what doesnt need doing. :lol:

stereo might be good, as nice as the flat 4 is to listen to its good to have a choice between that and radio 4.

You should be able to fo more than 50-55 even with a standard engine :shock: i do 60 odd and its comfy at that ,hills are a little slower lol are you sure it's a 1600 ? Electronic ignition is a good move fit and forget ;) stereo up front is a must :mrgreen:

Sounds like you have a nice list to potter about with over the winter ;)
eBay for stereo or the local rag , with iPod port !

Chris

Top of my list would be

* check and adjust all parts of the braking system. Over the years I think I have replaced all the pipes,flexis and solids, and most of the wheel cylinders and resealed the master.

* next I would grease up all points of the front beam and the rear suspension.

*If possible I would also try and get underneath and check for rot or potential rot. then scrape away, wire brush, weld, paint and underseal (unless you have an 'easy-life-rust-free-import' - then you might only need to do the last bit ;) )

JS

Latest posts