Wiper woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone has come across a similar intermittent problem with their wiper motor. It almost seems pointless to ask, as I'm not sure where you can help

So, wiper motor fuse blows part way through the cycle

Switch replaced, motor refurbished, still happens. Interestingly, the orientation of the motor makes a difference. Sometimes I can't get it to fault at all, but at other times it blows. I should say, a lot of experiments have been done with motor on the bench and not in the car. The mechanism is lubed and nice and smooth, not catching on anything. In testing, it can take a 25amp fuse to get it going again, and after that it will operate fine on the bench on a 5amp.

Send the motor back to refinishing supplier for a second look?

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Could be a fault in the wiring. If there is high resistance because of a bad or corroded contact or a frayed wire, the extra current drain could blow the fuse before the wiper motor gets over the start current. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is a mechanical issue with the wiper linkages, causing too much strain on the motor. This also causes higher than normal current consumption.
Incidentally, what size fuses is it blowing?

It sounds as though you’ve done all you can to find the problem, so it seems to me to be a fault with the motor. If you’ve paid for it to be refurbished, I would have another word with them about it.

Until I had my new loom installed, I don’t think I had a fuse on mine! I remember taking each fuse out of the old fuse box and even with no fuses the wipers still worked with ignition on. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for reply. It could be a fault on wires attached to motor.....but that wound cause fuse to blow would it? That would just cause that to be weakest link and the wire would pop? I'll take a look.

When I rewired 3 years ago I found that draw should be about 3.5 Amos, but found that on surges would blow a 4amp fuse. At some point I changed it to 10amp and it will blow 10amp, 15amp and 20amp. So it's something pretty major

mike202 said:
It sounds as though you’ve done all you can to find the problem, so it seems to me to be a fault with the motor. If you’ve paid for it to be refurbished, I would have another word with them about it.

Until I had my new loom installed, I don’t think I had a fuse on mine! I remember taking each fuse out of the old fuse box and even with no fuses the wipers still worked with ignition on. [emoji23]

No fuse, now that might be a solution! Seriously, I think it needs to go back for another look, but will do a continuity test on wiring first, just in case

Bluesnailman said:
Thanks for reply. It could be a fault on wires attached to motor.....but that wound cause fuse to blow would it? That would just cause that to be weakest link and the wire would pop? I'll take a look.

When I rewired 3 years ago I found that draw should be about 3.5 Amos, but found that on surges would blow a 4amp fuse. At some point I changed it to 10amp and it will blow 10amp, 15amp and 20amp. So it's something pretty major

Remember the fuse only blows when the current (amps) exceeds the rating. The fuse is there to protect the wiring from overheating. So possibly could be an earthing problem.

Well. Not sure what solved it ..... I used contact cleaner in the switch, cleaned spades and nipped up terminals and it all works again. Phew!!

Latest posts