Wiring loom tabs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another of my fold over metal wire grips broke today [emoji31]

They are the ones in the engine bay for holding down the wires at the sides. One or two have broken off under the van as well, these ones hold the fuel line. I suppose I could use p clips underneath but they would maybe look a bit naff in the engine bay.

What do others do when these things snap off?

Like sparkywig says use Cable Tie's, i use adhesive cable tie mounts with a cable tie (they work well and look neat)

A little trick that does look better than cable ties If you don’t have use of a welder is the metal P clips, the covered in plastic ones are Ok but you still need to make a hole to fit but.....

Instead of using as intended, you unfold it so you have a flat strip with 2 holes.

Then where you intend to position the wire you drill your river or screw pilot hole, get your body sealant and fill the hole, then screw the strip in the opposite direction to the way you want it.

Then using a flat screw driver fold the strip about 5 mm from the rivet or screw make it a tight sharp bend, so you have an upside down Capital L.

Body seal it and the screw/rivet when dry then put your cable on top of the rivet/screw and then bend the clip over the top of the cable.

If done right it will look almost original as you won’t see the screw or rivet and you’ll be able to bend it out if you ever need to work on the loom. you can also just cut a strip of metal and drill a hole in one end. The key is to make sure you bend it tight enough to allow it to fold over itself and the loom.

If you don’t like the extra hole at the end of the tab then just snip it off if your tab is long enough.

Latest posts