Wobbly accelerator pedal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5erge

Reaction score
Okay my pedal is sloppy and I could do wih tightening up the slack in the throttle cable but I get the feeling it will never be great. Am I missing something though?

Pictures of other pdeals seem to have a bar with another spring attached, whereas the only spring on mine is on the carbs themselves. PLease excuse the poor quality pic.

ACClinkage.jpg

Des

jaybee that pic is of the clutch and brake pedal.

Mine has linkages and an extra spring because its right hand drive, i'm not sure if yours should have a spring maybe someone with a left hand drive knows.

Is that L shape bracket okay or is that all wobbly? My accelerator was crap because there was no bush in mine

5erge said:
My pedal is the LHD >72 pedal but as you can see plenty of components appear to be missing.

I doubt it, i think that is the diagram for a RHD model....

I expect a LHD would have the cable attach directly to the linkage as yours does...

It's been a while since I looked at mine but I don't think it attached directly like yours. Will try and get some pics at the weekend if you haven't had a definite answer by then

[edit] The LHD & RHD > 1972 picture looks like my setup as far as I can remember. I think it's the same one I referred to when changing some parts last year

This is one of the remaining jobs left to sort out and it is winding me right up.

I've tightened the throttle cable as much as I can, however when I press the accelerator it is stiff and notchy and does not return back to an idle position, I'm getting completely fkd off with it as I seem to be the only person with this type of setup (whatever it is).

Please help, I'd love to be able to rev up the bus from the inside :mrgreen:

For clarification

1970 LHD - twin 40's with a hex linkage, no return spring on the pedal just an L shaped bracket under the floor that the accelerator cable is attached to, as per the pic above.

Des

Is it the carb link that is not letting the peddal return properly. I had the same problem, adjusted the carb setup and the throttle cable and fitted an extra spring at the carbs to help them return.

Hi,
Mine looks exactly like yours, dont panic !!!!
I have replaced everything i can.............It still a bit wobbly but it hasnt let me down !!

Prior to replacing everything it had a spring on, but you dont need one if the springs at the carb end are good......There is no point doubling up at both ends it just doubles the effort to press it...... :D

You may need to buy to kits, i got one from schofield and one from somewhere elese and mixed and matched the rods etc to get the best fit, i then made sure i backed the spring retainers up with n extra circlip to keep everything attached.

I have done 4000 miles no probs...i have checked it for signs of probs...there was none, but once a year i give it all a squirt of WD40.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers

I had problems with accelerator linkage on way to t2d for lowering so I let them work their magic, accelerator was sticking on..not very pleasant. Not too sure what they did up front (i think they welded one of the brackets that was coming loose), at the carbs they replaced the spring and also replaced the plastic tube which I had through the fan shroud with a metal one.

By coincidence the pedal had been sloppy since and I thought just needed screws tightening between hinge and cab floor.. I was wrong, at some point hinge was welded to pedal and this was coming loose, snapped on way MOT centre last Friday so I had to drive back home balancing the pedal with my foot, Pedal would fall flat to the floor each time I went for the brake! Wasn't my favourite journey ever!

I temporary bolted hinge to pedal and the pedal was absolutely perfect (even if I say so myself). Nancy sailed the MOT Saturday, woo hoo. replaced pedal/hinge on Monday with a JK version and I must say it is pretty sloppy!
Harry

5erge said:
This is one of the remaining jobs left to sort out and it is winding me right up.

I've tightened the throttle cable as much as I can, however when I press the accelerator it is stiff and notchy and does not return back to an idle position, I'm getting completely fkd off with it as I seem to be the only person with this type of setup (whatever it is).

Please help, I'd love to be able to rev up the bus from the inside :mrgreen:

For clarification

1970 LHD - twin 40's with a hex linkage, no return spring on the pedal just an L shaped bracket under the floor that the accelerator cable is attached to, as per the pic above.

Des

Your attachment is correct for LHD and there is no extra return spring (thats RHD only) Theres only a small spring on the swivel pin at the base of the pedal itself.

If the action is sticky then clean and lubricate. If after cleaning and lubing its still sticky then check the guide tubes and their alignment.

With twin carbs and hex bar its normal to have to fit an extra spring at the engine end. The stock return springs fitted on the carbs are not man enough to pull such a long cable back.

Latest posts