Yet another sound system question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
I've read past threads about sound systems in the bus so have started to build up an idea of what I should be looking at, but just wanted some input regarding my plans.
I want to keep things as original and subtle as possible so I was thinking of a converted classic radio from tadpole radios. I'm not sure whether to get the standard conversion or Sony headset unit (I can't work out the difference between the two).

With that in mind, I then need to hook up some speakers. I like my music but don't want anything OTT. I was thinking one in each door panel and then two in the RnR bed panel?
What type of speakers should I be looking at? I don't want anything flashy but need to have decent sound. Also, volts and amps, what's all that about? Do I need an amp? Will an amp make a big difference?

Too much information has overloaded my brain. :shock:

Edit: Thought I'd better add more information. The entire bus will be covered in Dynamat and insulation.
According to the tadpole website each radio has this:
Existing electronics are removed and replaced with surface mounted electronics. This provides 4 channel output at 45 Watts RMS per channel. An optional charging feature from the radio is also available with an IPOD type connector.

I'm no expert in this field but what I have learnt is that an amp makes all the difference. I can now deafen myself without distortion. :lol: Previously I struggled to hear anything once I hit 40mph! :p

Rich

You'll probably be OK with front speakers running off the head but an amp for the back would be a definite advantage. I've got 165mm components in the front doors, running off a Pioneer head.

Bear in mind speakers in the front R&R panel will sound good to you but not to anyone in the back seats (may not matter).

If you go for a four channel amp, you can run the two rear speakers off two channels and bridge the other two for a single subwoofer - I've got this with a pair of 6.5in two-way speakers in the rear side panels and a 10in sub under the seat and it's very nice - not too boy racer but more than enough clout for me and any one else.

Unless you're going for monster power or more than one amp, you should be OK with a decent battery although a secondary one will help. You shouldn't need any more power gear for a set-up like this.

Thanks for the replies. So I would need something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_871717_langId_-1_categoryId_265874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does it matter what amp vs headunit you get? Ie do they need to be the same brand or should they work well together anyway?
Also what would be the best position for the speakers in the back? I'd want to pop my iPod on while I'm in there or when I'm transporting people.

Yep, that amp or something similar.

When it comes to matching components of the system, there's no real need to stick to the same manufacturer throughout, as long as you do go for decent brands for everything.

I would recommend going for a head unit that has high outputs for amplifiers - something Pioneer is good at. It means that you tend to get less interference and noise - they generally use 4.5V outputs, which is good.

For rear speakers, I fitted mine in the panels either side of the rock n roll bed. This way, as you say, you can hear music clearly in the back, as can the kids when we're driving. I went for 165mm two-way speakers - decent sound but no need to mount separate tweeters. in contrast, I used 165mm components in the front doors, with the main unit low down and the tweeters high up, as the higher notes are far more direction-sensitive than mid and lower notes. That;s why you can get away with locating a sub pretty much anywhere.

Latest posts