Zoom Zoom Zoom

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5erge

Reaction score
Can't make my mind up, I need a whole engine, was looking at a 1600 twin port with IDA Webers for a bit more punch and MPG.

Have a couple of choices, a mexico unit (new) or a used engine or something else, I'm quite open to an alternative and would welcome advice and opinions.

The Mexico unit is quite expensive but it is new, so should be reliable. The second hand unit although cheaper would require a few additional or replacement parts to bring it up to scratch and I'd prefer not to tinker around with the engine once it is installed.

Advice welcome

Cheers

Des

there are several members have mexican engines and they do praise them quite highly, i would go new if you have the budget, unless you really know what and who you are buying second hand from.

5erge said:
Can't make my mind up, I need a whole engine, was looking at a 1600 twin port with IDA Webers for a bit more punch and MPG.

Have a couple of choices, a mexico unit (new) or a used engine or something else, I'm quite open to an alternative and would welcome advice and opinions.

The Mexico unit is quite expensive but it is new, so should be reliable. The second hand unit although cheaper would require a few additional or replacement parts to bring it up to scratch and I'd prefer not to tinker around with the engine once it is installed.

Advice welcome

Cheers

Des

Not sure that IDA webers are going to help with fuel economy - they are more usually found on the fire breathing dragons going down the drag strip are are porbably a bit much for a stocker. A set of 36 or 40 (probably 36s for a stocker as I believe its easier to get smaller venturis for these) weber IDFs or Dellorto drlas would be in order though or weber 34 icts ;)

twin carbs can improve economy but not weber IDAs they would be over kill on a 1600 tp

Go for the mexi engine and 34ict webers, you wont have any worries :mrgreen:

Latest posts