10mm head studs, where from?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards

Reaction score
I'm currently fighting an uphill battle rebuilding my 1600 twin port. The latest hold up is getting some 10mm head studs. I picked up a kit for a '71 bus and found they didn't fit the crankcase. When I checked them against the original ones the new ones are smaller in diameter. I guess the ones I need are 10mm, the problem I have it trying to find them at a sensible price, I paid £26 for 8mm kit. The 10mm kits I can find online are all performance sets, costing £50+.

Any ideas where I can get standard 10mm head studs? I may also see if I can salvage the original ones.

Thanks, Rich.

i might have a set you can have for postage lying about, but won't be able to check until next weekend...

Just been investigating this some more and found that VW switched to 8mm on later engines to stop the block expansion ripping the 10mm stud out of the thread. To get around this, there are case savers available to reduce the thread in block to 8mm.

Latest posts