1600 Solex Pict 3 Carb - Fuel Leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Firstly Happy New Year.

I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue. My carb is leaking fuel, only small drips, but leaking nonetheless, from the float champer base - this appears to be worse after the bus has run as obviously the float chamber is holding fuel with nowhere for it to go.

I have had the carb on and off a few times to try and pin point the leak, as the fuel settles on the on underside of the float chamber and just drips from there.

After some investigation it appears that fuel is leaking from around the bolt on the left of the float chamber (looking into the engine bay) and from the acceleration diaphragm on the right. I have replaced the washer on the bolt and this has cured the leak from this side (see picture circled blue): -
leaksolvedleft.jpg

However, even after replacing the gasket on the right with a new part, fuel is still dripping from the base of the gasket (see picture, circled red): -
highlightedleak.jpg

Any hints or tips would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

James

its deffinately from there and not the spindle below/forward?

oh and nice to see the altitude compensator plumbed in any chance of some better picks of that and well try and stick it in the tech features as a reference

Hiya James,

I had a recurring smell of petrol in my garage when the Bus was inside. Had a devil of atime finding the source of the leak. Like yours, I found that my carb (a 30PICT3 Solex) was wet on the bottom. I found that changing out the washer on the float chamber drain nut did the trick for me.

However, since you have identified the accelerator pump as a leak spot, you'll need to pull your carburetor in order to get at the offending part. Once you have the accelerator pump off (4 screws and fiddling with some linkage) you'll see that what looks like a gasket from the outside is actually a diaphragm. That diaphragm will need to be replaced. Since this diaphragm is included in a carb rebuild kit (and you have the carburetor off the Bus anyway) this is a good time to just go ahead and rebuild the carb.

Hi Bookwus,
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the gasket/diaphragm has already been replaced and it's still leaking. I'll have to get my hands on another new one and will let you know if replacing it a second time works.

Hi Araon,
Definately is from there.... :( - I'll replace it again and also post some more pics for you.

Cheers,

James

Try a thin smear of hylomar on each side, just enough to seal it to the metal as you dont want that stuff coming loose and blocking the accelerator circuit.

Hi Araon,
Please see pictures as promised of altitude corrector.

OVerall shot of engine
IMG_0101.jpg

Routing of fuel from carb to corrector
fuelflow1.jpg

Routing form corrector to adjuster (mine has two piece positioner)
fuelflow2.jpg

Routing to adjustment
fuelflow3.jpg

Routing from adjustment back to tank
fuelflow4.jpg

Hope this helps...

Will let you know how I get on with my carb...been a bit busy replacing the brakes on my daily car so carb has taken a back seat...

Cheers,

James

As much as I like your synchro... I'll have to decline the offer :)

Carb disassembled and gasket paste used. Going to let it dry before I turn her over... will keep you posted.

Ran the van the other day and then checked it again after leaving it to sit for a while and the paste has worked :D

Leak gone, but will keep an eye on it.

Latest posts