1700 Type 4 (CB code) running woes...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire3500

Reaction score
Can I please ask for a little help?

My van has a 1700 CB engine, it's not running too well and I think I need a little help from those more experienced than me in the ways for the Type 4... :)

The symptoms:

Van was bogging down and not revving cleanly, had to give it a fair old push on the throttle to pull away cleanly and then lately I've had a problem with it idling and then dying away... not stalling but dropping right off and then coming back... like hunting in slow motion.

What I've tried:

Carb completely stripped and cleaned and set up correctly
Points set correctly 0.16"
Timing set correctly 0.06"

What I haven't done yet:

Replaced all of the inlet manifold gaskets and boots - haven't ordered the bits but am going to

What is giving me gyp:

Timing... WTF???!!!! According to my light (Gunson variable, set to 0 degrees) I'm something like 30 degrees BTDC at 2500 - 3000 rpm, Muir reckons 10 degrees ATDC!!! I am *very*sceptical about my ability to time this right... there is a notch on the pulley highlighted with red paint and that's what I'm measuring against, but am concerned that the pulley could be on incorrectly... I'm frightened of bad timing, Type 1 engines are nice and easy in this respect... the Type 4 is intimidating me. The distributor catches on the breather, which is ringing alarm bells, I can't imagine VW fitting a dizzy that fouls... What gives, gurus?

What's non-standard:

The van has a 32/36 progressive Weber - I think should be twin Solex originally... but it ain't now.
The van has a weird distributor with two vacuum pipes... the rear one is attached via a hose to the Weber... the one on the round thing (diaphragm?) is open to atmosphere

Speculation:

Carb icing... it's been cold and the problem has been worse since... I might have chance of some Weber ICTs and am toying with this idea as I hear that the single progressive Weber and the Type 4 don't play nicely.

Manifold leaks... could be, and makes sense of the "hunting"

Carb still dirty... nobody is infallible, right? I might have left some muck in there.

Timing wrong... could be, I really feel very uncertain about this. How embarrassing...

I am actually kind of on a knife-edge with this van now, as I'm about at the end of the remedial work. The reason I'm so keen to get it sorted is that we're going to EBI and then on to Chamonix for a couple of weeks. There is a bit of me that wants to slam the van, there's a bit of me that wants to put a Type 1 motor, there's a bit of me that just wants to send it off to see Daz at Aircooled Engineering and pay someone else to fix it... there's a bit of me that wants to stick it in the For Sale section and get the T25 diesel that I was *going* to buy after selling my Split... existential crisis, dudes... help me out. I know if I just get it sorted then I'll be back in the groove but I'm really frustrated by my own limitations of not knowing the Type 4 engine the way I know a Type 1. It's like being lost in a familiar place...

Help :|

DONT PANIC !!!!!!!!!change dizzy for a sva ,you can fit a electronic one from a t25 if you want.fit the itcs as will run better or get so 36 idf or 36 dells if you can find the as better still.I think from your discription its the dizzy thats f**ked so try that first.type 4 motor is not that differant to a type 1 ,its like an improved version(still not perfect)
t25 diesel!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOOOO.so slow and eat cylinder gaskets/heads.

67panel said:
DONT PANIC !!!!!!!!!change dizzy for a sva ,you can fit a electronic one from a t25 if you want.fit the itcs as will run better or get so 36 idf or 36 dells if you can find the as better still.I think from your discription its the dizzy thats f**ked so try that first.type 4 motor is not that differant to a type 1 ,its like an improved version(still not perfect)
t25 diesel!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOOOO.so slow and eat cylinder gaskets/heads.

Cheers dude, so you reckon one of these will do the trick?

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=11946&xSec=159" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got a 009 I can try on there actually... do you reckon that's worth a crack, just to see if the issue is lessened (I am aware that 009 tend to have spots o' flat aplenty)?

Appreciate the steer... :)

Hello again. All pretty basic before you get into carbs. Service it, valves, timing, points etc and ensure dissy is operating properly. If not then swap it out. 009 is fine to eliminate dissy issues.

Latest posts