• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1968 Tin Top for sale...SOLD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earlybaynick

Reaction score
We bought our lovely 68 van from fellow forum member Chris Strong last year and our family have had lots great fun times and are enjoying being back on the VW scene after a few years out....We are very tentatively considering selling for one reason only, and that is that our family is about to get a bit bigger (adoption) and we really need to get a Westfalia elevating roof model to accommodate all the kids happily. We can manage with the awning but its not the ideal...so, we're putting it out there and seeing what happens, no particular rush and no burning desire to change vans, just a matter of maybe being more practical.

If we do sell, it will be very reluctant as we have spent quite a bit since we bought bringing it up to tip top mechanical condition and we do completely trust that it wont let us down.

Briefly this is what's on offer and what's been done:

January 1968 - one of earliest rhd bay’s in the uk with one year only parts incl. painted dash, long rear view mirror,push button handles.

Restored by previous owner with all necessary panels replaced (Small feature in VW Camper & Bus during restoration)

Recent new mexican 1600 engine (approx 6 years old)

Twin webber ICT Carbs

BRM alloys

All glass and seals replaced, opening front quarters and opening rear safari window with jail bars.

Sainless steel exhaust, front disc brake conversion,mildly lowered on adjusters, recon steering box.

Underside wire brushed,red oxide treated and stone chipped Sept 2012.

New starter motor May 2012

Mechanical work undertaken by Type2Detectives March 2013:

Van was given a T2D “Health Check” and all work recommended was carried out by T2D as follows, receipt available for £2150.

All fuel hoses replaced
Engine removed and flywheel oil seal replaced.
Brake feed pipes repaired
Beam & Idler greased
New ball joints fitted
Brake hoses replaced
Shock mounts repaired
Spring plate bolts repaired
load spreaders fitted
new input shaft seal fitted
new gear oil
Fuel breather pipes replaced
Number plate light fitted
Rear brakes overhauled.
Rear drums overhauled inluding machine work
O/S rear wheel bearing replaced
Handbrake mechanism overhauled in drum.

Serviced annually, most recent April 2013 Inc:

New Pertronix electronic ignition
distributor stripped,cleaned and oiled
New dizzy cap & rotor arm
Valve clearances set/rocker cover gaskets replaced
Oil sump filter change
New Bosch plugs
New HT leads
Oil Change (Millers oil 20/50)

MOT (with no advisories) March 2014

Internally:

Bespoke solid oak interior with SMEV gas oven,hob,sink,fridge (240v). DigitalTV/DVD mounted from the roof.
Full width rock n roll bed, black out style curtains, heated front seats, 4 seat belts (suitable for child car seats), original childs hammock over front seats, original westfalia folding table,floor tiles by Madmatz.

240 hook up & Leisure Battery.

Alpine CD player and 4 speakers, big sound!

More photos can be sent.

We've spent a lot of money on this bus and are looking for £16950, to be honest this doesn't cover all we've spent but we think it is a fair valuation. As the bus has benefited from the Type2Detectives healthcheck you would be minimising the element of risk involved in buying and can sleep safe in the knowledge that it has been given a through examination by experts and has no hidden nasties!

Any questions please feel free.
Cheers

I'm interested, where are you? You sound close.

Have you got photos of the cab and rear? Was it reupholstered?

magoo said:
I'm interested, where are you? You sound close.

Have you got photos of the cab and rear? Was it reupholstered?

Yes I have more photos, if you drop me a PM with e-mail address I'll send them through,I'm not going to be near the laptop for a day or two to mess around with photo bucket!

Front seats recovered and rear bench seat/r n r bed also recovered in beige cloth to match interior panels.

Ok...we need a van to use over the summer for our planned holidays and some shows, as time is ticking on we will reduce the asking price to £16500 to be in line with similar standard vans that are around at the moment.
Cheers

Ok just had my second no show viewing of the weekend, please can I respectfully ask that only people who genuinely want to buy a van contact us. Thank you

We are looking for our first van, and have just got in from viewing something quite rusty. We'd like to see yours where are you based, we could view on Sunday. We are Essex based.

bloomers100 said:
We are looking for our first van, and have just got in from viewing something quite rusty. We'd like to see yours where are you based, we could view on Sunday. We are Essex based.

Sunday is good for us, we're in Coventry. If you want to have a chat on the phone first to make sure it's what you're looking for and ask any questions before travelling I'll send you my number on a PM.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts