1970 Dormobile 'birth defect?'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehighchairpoet

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this situation before?

I purchased a front crossmember for my 70. Item described as suitable for buses between 68 - 71. Went to go and fit it, turnt out to be approx 2 1/2" - 3" too long. Contacted supplier and received the following information.

We've had this a few times before to be honest. There was only 3 cross members produced by VW as far as we're aware, and the parts book only lists 3 too. But there's a weird period between 70 and 71 which has a shorter cross member. Some 70's have this shorter one and some don't, then some 71's have it and some don't. We've only had 4-5 people mention it in the past so it must only be a certain amount of buses that had them fitted.

The only thing you can do on this is shorten the panel that's for the 68-71 version, there's no other panel available as we've never seen this specific one. And no other company must have as nobody else manufactures it either.

We've never had a bus here with that cross member on in the 100's of early bays we've imported either, so can't even copy something off one of them unfortunately.

I ain't got a problem with shortening the panel, although a little concerned that I may loose the hole for the wiring loom conduit within ( a Bit more work to rectify if I do)
Just putting it out there if someone's got any info on the birth defect of 'the batch' of buses between 70 - 71

Cheers

..."We've never had a bus here with that cross member on in the 100's of early bays we've imported either, so can't even copy something off one of them unfortunately. "

Maybe sounds like you need to get your bus to them so they can copy it and create a new one for you and others with the same year?

Latest posts