1970 westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggsi

Reaction score
I have been driving aircooleds for 12 years now and have had 2 beetles a squareback,notchback and a ghia but I picked up my first bay at the weekend.Its a 1970 westy that started its life in Oman then moved to Ireland in 1979.I bought it without any interior,gearbox,engine and missing some glass and door handles and riddled with holes,but hey its an early bay :D

bayhomeonaframe1.jpg

bayhomeonaframe3.jpg

bayhomelhs.jpg

bayhomerear.jpg

riggsi said:
I have been driving aircooleds for 12 years now and have had 2 beetles a squareback,notchback and a ghia but I picked up my first bay at the weekend.Its a 1970 westy that started its life in Oman then moved to Ireland in 1979.I bought it without any interior,gearbox,engine and missing some glass and door handles and riddled with holes,but hey its an early bay :D

bayhomeonaframe1.jpg

Errrr.... It's a Van Gogh?
van_gogh_zelfportre_239976d.jpg

I see, I see ... an epic resto coming up to deal with the rustbug

Looks like a MAJOR project :shock:

Looking forward to seeing the transformation - do you have a time when you would like it ready for?

Wow, brave project. Are you planning on doing the work yourself? Keep us updated with progress :)

Yeah I will be doing all the work myself and hope to take our first trip in it next easter,Its not that bad really the underneath is totally solid with just a bit of surface rust.

westyinthegarage.jpg

westyunderside.jpg

westyunderside2.jpg

Looks like a nice project, I love the colour.

are you keepin the under dash speakers? :lol:

Gonna be a great resto! welcome and good luck! 8)

I've been cutting rotten panels off the bus all week and I managed to sell my Ghia tonight so hopefully I will have some new panels next week and can get started on this.

Making good progress on the bus over the last couple of months and I am on schedeul to start painting after christmas :D

I havent found any dodgy repairs so far so it has been great to work on.

1rhsreararchrust.jpg

1rhsreararchprimed.jpg

1rhsreararchfinished.jpg
1lhsmiddlesill.jpg
1lhssillfinished.jpg

1lhsmiddlesill.jpg

I got these JK rear wheel arch closing panels that were marked as 68-79 but they were too short,when I said it to the supplier he told me their was no difference between early and late wheel arch tubs?

111rearsplashpaneldoesntfit2.jpg

So I made some out of 1.8mm steel.

1lhsrearsplashpanel.jpg

I am using gassless flux cored wire so it looks messy and I am spending a fortune on flappy disks,Its a false economy really I need to splash out on a bottle of gas.

Cool project..

Have you any pictures of the pop top hole from the inside? Specifically of the front edge to said hole?!

I'm just trying to work out if its the same as the Early US buses...

Or do you know if this Bay has used the Sunroof shell and is double skinned..?

Thanks!

Latest posts