1970 White Survivor Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcod

Reaction score
This is "Winnie' apparently so the kids tell me. This is my second bay having had a late devon bay. Always wanted a proper westy so when the late bay needed substantial money spending on it I thought it made more sense to put it into something id really want and hopefully be more of an investment longer term. (If theres such a thing with these money pits). Im the first proper UK owner since it was registered last year. Done loads to it since we've had it and should of started the thread earlier so will have to drip feed bits till I'm up to date.

Pics of it just as I brought it

Days of cleaning followed. Found a dead mouse in the water tank, mouse droppings everywhere and a bit of rust inside the hole where the waste pipe passes. Will be rust treating and cavity waxing as soon as. Brought a new water filler pipe, removed and fixed the tap. Ball bearing was rusted but was an easy fix. New pipe fitted to ice cube tray.

And tucked up in bed again, glad I changed those garage doors

First trip out and all road registered. Bit of a nightmare, can't get the gears very easily. Tried an empi as well as a CSP shifter. Bit better but something not right. Also noticed whining in top gear.

Nice set of repo curtains fitted. Had to add some missing pop studs to the front that were missing but nice and straight forward.

Problems with charging and looking at the old american battery decided to change it. I had the electrics all checked through and mains hook up fitted. Needed a plug fitting so picked one up from a caravan shop and located it somewhere it didn't stand out to much. I love lowered but I'm planning on keeping it stock. Oh yer notice the bottom pic, spot the deliberate mistake!

First trip up to the coast. Proved eventful, still gear change issues, not charging the battery, starter motor issues and still gear change issues!!!!

Some nice goodies arriving. Fitted new bits to the dynamo and it seemed better, using some tricks id picked up off this forum to change them. Next problem was an awful engine sound which I thought was terminal an amazingly was down to a damaged OG heat exchanger vibrating. I brought a new one from JK and having never had an OG one before I was shocked at how good the original is at kicking out heat. I will fit the OG for now and tear it apart and fit the insides of the OG in the future. Also fitted new regulator.

Gave the starter motor a clean up including the contacts so that should hopefully help. Gearbox sissues no better and in fact only just managed to get it home. Really weird, got gears one minute then gone again. Whipped it out and hockey stick ok but nose cone bush worn. That would explain why i couldn't get any gears for a while as it was jamming the rod in. Worth giving a try at only a few quid.

Did a bit of rewiring around the generator. Decided to get me a look at the fuel tank. It was unbelievably untouched and in great condition behind the firewall. Id be amazed if its been off since the day it was made. I replaced the fuel filler hose, breather pipes and fuel line just to be safe. Last pic is the gearbox nose cone refitted but to be honest the gearbox was a nightmare and nearly 6 months on id hardly been able to drive it. Loads of niggles like the OG seat belts were a pain, so 3 point fitted and the seat springs on the drivers seat were broken on one side so all in all driving was a pain in the chuff.
Decided to bite the bullet and get a replacement gearbox from the engine shop. Bit cramp working in a single garage but better than none!

Got the boy on the job of helping refit the new box. Long day but all done. Gave it a run the next day, loads better but definitely needed some adjustment.

Oh yer and notice the box came with the wrong stud to mount it. Rightly or wrongly I removed the stud and actually bolted the mount to the base. Gave me the clearance I needed so hopefully should be ok as long as they don't work loose. I will have to keep an eye on them.
Notice the bugs is offset in the coupler. That was niggling me so decided to drop the gearbox again, must be fourth time or something stupid now.
Traced it to a bent gear change rod, can you believe! Put it in the vice and straightened it out. I made the right call dropping the box again.
After that it was replace the cab window seals which was a mission as the glass holder wouldn't hold the glass and the rubbers were so grippy that the window wouldn't go down without popping out of the holder. I brought some silkaflex in poop or bust moment and cracked it. Drivers did glass still needs relocating a bit better as it is hard to close at the top but generally pretty good. And that was it, all set for holiday to Dorset in April half term. A bit nervous to say the least but needed a run to find the niggles!

600 mile round trip and had a great time. Van ran well down to Dorset but gear changes were getting worse as time went on. I was getting really frustrated by now as everything had been renewed. Day two and I was ready to burn it but called into Kombi Classics and can you believe it the coupler cage was defective and rotating at the end. They opened 3 brand new ones and all the same. Anyway OG one found and fitted and all was very good in my world again. The van was great and I love the westy layout for camping. The teenagers tried to pop top bunk but wasn't too comfortable and after years of always sleeping in the awning I ended up being given the van all to myself as we hadn't brought an undershoot for the cold vinyl. One blanket later and I was in heaven in the van. Cant believe how nice it is to sleep in it, almost felt guilt leaving the family outside, almost :)
Was making a list of all the to do's i was finding when using the van and it is huge!! Id tried freeing up the locks and although better still not right and can only lock the sliding door at the minute.

I did have one more problem and that was the fan belt started squeezing at start up and then the engine started sounding awful. Thankfully traced to a loose nut on the dynamo pulley wheel.

So the journey home, blimey! Where do I start. Well it was ok for a couple of hours but fuel was getting low and i noticed a very slight hesitation when we hit a bump, was it really low on fuel plus i couldn't drop from 4th to 3rd. Made it to a services and was really anxious whether it would restart. It did and after another hour with a couple of progressively more regular coughs I found it wouldn't idle when I hit traffic. As you can believe it became back to back traffic on the M25 and I couldn't idle so had to keep dabbing the accelerator and brake to keep the revs up whilst also trying to use the handbrake to stop. I managed to nurse it for 4 more hours some how and got home. By this time I couldn't get 2nd gear and so roundabout were fun.

Had a great holiday but a big list to resolve. And that was two weeks ago. Managed to trace the gear change issue to the rubber part of the gear coupler coming out. Can you believe it!!! Ordered a urethane bush one, a new automatic choke as I thought that may of been the issue with the carb as it smelt too rich as well.
Yesterday I fitted the new urethane bushes in the OG cage and fitted a new choke. Drove it out of the garage and the fan belt was rattling like a good one. When I went to tighten it it wouldn't hold and I found the thread on the dynamo is shot. Darn it. I decided to bite the bullet and buy an alternator conversion kit as I wanted one later in the year anyway and also ordered a new carb as when i had a loo at that it was looking a bit tired. So thats me up to date and will be adding updates as I go along. :)

Replaced some seats springs thanks to an early bay member sending me some OG ones. Drivers seat much more comfy!

Some goodies arrived form vw heritage. Alternator conversion came with a writing kit. Handy! Also ordered a brake adjustment tool of eBay, should come in handy. Let the work commence

Installing my alternator conversion including a new fuel pump

Had to make a tool to do up single port clamp nuts

First time to Stanford hall great event. Liked the early bay line up but no one about to say hello too. Some great bus and vehicles. Will have to cam over next year.

Latest posts