1970 White Westy via California

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the wire from the coil yesterday for the rev counter,when I had my head in the engine bay I could smell petrol,I never thought too much about it as I had just driven it 12ft foward on to the drive and expected a slight wiff of fuel with the choke being on,something made me look further and I saw a wet patch near no.3 cylinder,had a sniff and it was petrol!!!!!
image_zps6d2cb698.jpg

I saw the "nick" in the pipe and it had just rubbed through and starting to leak.I think karma made me get the rev counter for the van and led me to it.
image_zps09f34a34.jpg

After a 68hr week at work I never got the rev counter finished and concentrated on the fuel issue removing the pipe and fitting a tap I brought of ebay a while ago before calling it a day.
image_zps0721332c.jpg

Today I managed to get the metal fuel pipe so have replaced this and a new grommet in the tinware. The fuel lines are changed every 18 months but never really gave the metal pipe too much attention.No harm done. :oops:

Lee152 said:
Know what u mean, picked up some og jail bars awhile ago but yet to pluck up the courage to start drilling holes!

Lee
I did go off the idea,but every van I look at has them and they are so cool.When we camped with all the gear in the back it was up against the rear window,so they have a practical use too,unlike shiny wheel trims :lol:
They are back on my wish list now as I'm running out of what I consider tasteful bling to purchase.

I got a few bits to bolt on when the weather is good,jail bars,hot oil sender unit,stainless tail pipe and a bloke that does ply lining at work got me 2 sheets of Russian Birch for the roof lining,so that has been added to the list of jobs.I got a magoo earlybay tax disc holder then heard they were doing away with tax discs:(
Then I saw this you can choose the place of issue and even the date issued and expiry of course.
image_zps3bf2a71a.jpg

8) even if I say so myself.
£5.75 for 4 plus a .jpg

Its that time of year and as the engine had no thermostat or flaps in since I got it I decided to pull the engine and stick them all back in,While its out a few oil leaks to fix,bits to chrome and maybe a trip to the powdercoaters.
image_zpsd97daa14.jpg.html

image_zps7acc6b44.jpg.html

image_zps604288b8.jpg.html

image_zps84e6c88b.jpg.html

Stripped the engine to the case which I wont split.Removed the firewall and cleaned up chuffed with the result so far.I need to sort out the tar boards as they are warped and cracked and the tinware under the heat axchangers need welding to repair or possible replacements at the right price.
image_zps22a584eb.jpg

image_zpsc7c50b54.jpg

image_zps9df4aee1.jpg

image_zpsdc0a8d6c.jpg

I stripped the gearbox last weekend to see why it whined,I was hoping just to replace the bearings,but found the pinion had lost a couple of teeth:(
image_zps9beb213a.jpg

I put a wanted post up and hopefully have a good second hand one sorted.

Great progress Max! I am going through much of the same rebuild as well.

Question for you ... have you test fitted that new firewall?

Max Power said:

I am looking for a firewall to fit my '68 but heard that a '71 firewall is one year only. The reason why I ask is because your new one looks just like this '71 only firewall. Before I buy a used OG one I want to make sure it will fit my '68. Anyone know if the one year only thing is true or what mods are required to fit a '71 to a '68? Thanks.

EDIT ... just realised the difference between these two firewalls. The 68-71 has two tapered top corners (see Max's pic.) The 71 only has a square top left corner (see my pic) so forget my question. Looks like I saved myself from buying a 71 only firewall once I opened my eyes! :shock: :lol: