1971 1600 engine stalls when in idle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raabrum

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently bought a 1600 bay window. The engine had not been touched by the previous owner but my limited engine knowledge told me it was a goodun. I have done about 400 miles in it but after 300ish I noticed a small oil leak. Then the other day I was driving and the oil pressure light came on and the engine choked. I wasn't far from home so went back and the engine stalled when I stopped. I checked the oil level and found that it was low, on the base line of the stick, so have topped the oil up but now when I start the van the oil pressure light goes off but it will not idle and stalls after about 10 seconds. It will stay running however when the gas is pressed.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Its best to check your oil level often. It should not be left to get that low as it will end in engine damage.

Running problem could be muck in the Carb. May help to give it a good clean out. First check that the fuel cut-off solenoid on the side of the carb is working. It should click when you put the ignition on.
:D

Yep, when I had this it was the carb jet was loose (practically falling out). Couple of turns with a screwdriver, problem solved.

Latest posts