1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krim

Reaction score
Few more pics of my '71 Dormobile which is coming together now, including the totally uncut original dash i recently sourced (at great expense), had resprayed, then wrestled in to place. Oh and my mega-long rear view mirror, which is a vast improvement over the standard ones.

Simon.

Looks well nice 8)
Where the front seats from and I take it the cooker has gone from the front???

gninnam said:
Looks well nice 8)
Where the front seats from and I take it the cooker has gone from the front???

The seats are from a 1982 911, i really like them because they're quite low so I'm not looking out the top of the windscreen, they have the built in tombstone headrest so are safer than stock seats, and they're really comfortable on long journeys -no bum-ache.. and being earlier 911 seats they don't have the electrics etc so easier to fit and much lighter +. I had the whole interior re-upholstered in porsche suede.

The cooker was missing when i got the van, it had always been the plan to fit a cooker where the dormobile sink was as its something a did to a dormy i owned 10 years ago. I picked up a lovely Smev cooker unit from someone on here, and still have the original sink and unit top incase someone ever wants to change it back.

S.

Hi,

Lovely, lovely bus, really nice colour, and so bright and airy looking with the pop up roof windows, why didn't Westfalia fit some little sky lights? Half tempted to look for some vintage trailer skylights and cut some holes...... :msn4:

Love this, very very nice indeed....

Cheers,

Alistair

Didn't notice the suede - very nicely done!

Tell me about your front ash tray, i see it is textured like the glovebox, is that a UK thing? My us bus has a smooth ashtray front, where as the dash and glovebox are textured? Seems like the smooth one would be more akin to a uk bus with smooth dash???

Alistair

aogrady said:
Didn't notice the suede - very nicely done!

Tell me about your front ash tray, i see it is textured like the glovebox, is that a UK thing? My us bus has a smooth ashtray front, where as the dash and glovebox are textured? Seems like the smooth one would be more akin to a uk bus with smooth dash???

Alistair

Hi

Thanks for the kinds words, as with most buses it does look a little better in the pictures than up close..

As far as I'm aware uk buses had the textured ashtray as standard, I've had a few now and they've all had this sort. For the record this ashtray came with the uncut dash I found, and it's about the best condition one I've seen, they're hard to find now. The dash had been in storage for 20yrs so I was really lucky, it's even harder to find a dash that's not had the radio aperture cut or any extra holes drilled in so I was well pleased.

S.

Hi

Thanks for the kinds words, as with most buses it does look a little better in the pictures than up close..

As far as I'm aware uk buses had the textured ashtray as standard, I've had a few now and they've all had this sort. For the record this ashtray came with the uncut dash I found, and it's about the best condition one I've seen, they're hard to find now. The dash had been in storage for 20yrs so I was really lucky, it's even harder to find a dash that's not had the radio aperture cut or any extra holes drilled in so I was well pleased.

S.

:D Oh ok right, all UK buses have the textured one? I might keep my eyes peeled for one of those, nice score on the dash though

Alistair

sparkywig said:
Nice Dormobile.

I've never had a textured ashtray in buses I've owned, they've all been smooth metal. Even the '72.

Hmmm weird? I'm sure someone on here will know which ashtrays came in what bus?? Just added mine up and I've had 6 bays 1x70 2x71 3x72 and as far as I can remember at least 4 of them had the textured ashtray?, but that doesn't mean they're original??

S.

Hi
Mine is a 72 RHD Dormobile all orginal interior and it has a smooth ashtray, maybe we can ask if there is an ashtray guru on here ? :lol:

Latest posts