• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 early bay deluxe microbus for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim_adi

Reaction score
It absolutely breaks my heart to do this, but needs must so I’m now selling my 1971 deluxe microbus.

He’s a California import, so left hand drive. Has a 1641 motor, red9 easy rider front suspension and genuine 14” fuchs alloys

He’s MOTd till June and taxed till June too (although obviously tax exempt)

I’ve done a substantial amount of mechanical work to him over the last 12 months. This includes a engine top-end rebuild with new pistons, barrels, heads, stock single card, manifold, alternator stand, dizzy, fuel pump, etc.

I’ve replaced the front ball joints, bearings, discs, calipers, master cylinder, steering damper, steering arms and drag link and had the steering box reconditioned (by yellowbeetle66 off here).

The rear brakes have been replaced with new items – cylinders, drums, etc and I’ve replaced the flexis with stainless steel ones.

Inside he has empi low back buckets up front (really quite comfy – I’m a 6’ 3” badly proportioned 15 stone and I’m fine in them) and in the back he has a genuine westfalia ¾ rock n roll bed and a range of storage units. I built the units so they’re at the same height as the bed when it’s down and made a bit of a long cushion to lay on them so it is in effect a full width bed.

He’s had new door seals all round and cab door rubbers and seals replaced. He’s also had new cab door handles and wing mirrors (the mirrors have a bit of fuzz on them after winter but a bit of autosol will cure that).

The headlining ideally could do with replacing – I fitted a top-locker a couple of years back which necessitated cutting the rear out – couldn’t live with the locker so took it out and installed some foam padding and fabric to cover the gap – It worked for me but it depends what luxury you’re after ! The door cards and panels have been replaced with self-made plywood panels covered in fabric…again, to my taste !!!!

Mechanically he’s sound – I’ve put about 600 miles on the engine since the work, so it would benefit from an oil change and general service (I’ll try and do this if circumstances allow) and it could probably do with a tracking / geometry check (which again I’ll try to do)

Body wise he’s solid. Passenger side cab floor has been patched and could do with patching again or replacing. There’s some surface rust on the cills but I think a wire brushing and POR15 or similar would sort this.

Bumpers currently not fitted – I started stripping down and primering them and the irons – I probably wont get time to finish them but they’re obviously included in the sale (along with new cab step rubbers)

He’s not a show winner, but he is is a totally usable van which needs using – something I’ll be unable to do much of these next couple of years.

He’s in Illingworth, North Halifax for viewings
Asking price is £7500

note - i'm away on tuesday till next sunday so i wont be about till w/c 2nd april - however if anyone is interested i could probably arrange for a mate to come and open it for someone to have a look round - email me on [email protected]

378.jpg

379.jpg

380.jpg

381.jpg

382.jpg

384.jpg

385.jpg

383.jpg

Latest posts