1971 T2 riviara project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
105.jpg

using the box wrench to push the rubber over the shaft.

090.jpg

and now to sort this bloody mess out. it took me quite a while to realise what was missing.

115.jpg

need some file work on the cast marks to keep her cooling as she should..

119.jpg

well you get the idea.. its hard work with a bendy needle file but this will improve the cooling air flow.

138.jpg

our engine has been put together from old bits scattered around my werk shop.

148.jpg

here we go with the pallet truck and some short scaff boards.. it worked better doing this with a beetle as it was not so high. i had a real job getting it in and that was with help from Audrey and my mate Shaun.

150.jpg

ok so its nearly in.. just have to get the bell housings to mate up...

152.jpg

i was struggling with a gap at the top of the bell housings. i did not want to use the bolts to pull the two halves together but was concerned that all the shaking and wobbling around was going to damage the gear box spline.. this was going on for over an hour.. im doing something wrong.. then it went in to place.. but had no idea if i had damaged anything.

164.jpg

the first solex pissed fuel till it was coming out the exhaust pipe...aaargg.. so i grabbed this from a junk 1600 beetle and gave it a quick clean out, when open it looked in better shape than the leaky one,but real mucky on the out side. dont judge a book by its cover, so i used it and it ran good through the rpm range.

167.jpg

ok so here is a pick of the old AD engine running.. wobbly fan belt.

113.jpg

Isaac might be 5 but hes always asking "whats my job" im running out of ideas with what is safe for kids to do on a camper project. i like the fact hes involved it will introduce another generation to a love of all things old and rusty. so i gave him a rag and some polish.. i told him the low down jobs are best done by him as being small helps..ha ha. cheers lad!

Latest posts