• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Westy For Sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillywilly

Reaction score
Finally, we have decided that we have to sell our bus.

We bought this from Alex at Transporterhaus and was unrestored 6 years ago. Since then it has been kept in a garage and used solidly throughout the summer we've toured the continent, Ireland and the UK.

A really solid van right through. We had an exterior respray originally and it still looks great. As you’ll see from the pictures, there are loads of nice touches. There is a Canopy, Parrot Stereo with bluetooth phone/ipod, discreet infinity speakers and electric hook up. its lowered 4” so looks great but is still comfortable and drives normally over speed bumps even fully loaded. Pop top canvas was also replaced which is waterproof as well as having an additional thermal mat to go round it on cold nights. LED lighting means that we have never drained the leisure battery or main battery but can easily be changed back to original festoon bulbs if you prefer.

We love the bus because its comfortable, easy to use, reliable and cool.

The Techy stuff.

The old single port 1600 engine was getting tired so in summer 2013 we replaced it with a VW Heritage 1641 brand new twin port with twin 34 it carbs and a mild cam and a Rancho freeway flyer box so the engine wasn't revving so high cruising the motorway. I researched this and it seemed like the best compromise between a wee bit extra pull to get up those hills. We go every where around 55 - 60 and the bus pulls up most hills pretty well.

There is a replacement double bed up top which is completely solid (Thanks to Faux), but if you like originality it comes with the original single bunk frame for up top but would need the material replaced. there is also the original option of the cab bunk. This really is a proper 5 berth camper (2 adults, 3 kids)

The original units are in great shape, with that quality click when you close them. you’ve got to love that Westfalia quality.

It was a little too ‘Patina’d’ when we bought it so decided on replacing the battery tray and half cab floor (only bits of corrosion as its from dry state US) and a full outside respray (Transporterhaus). The interior has been done in cream leather with red piping all in good condition.

I’ve been involved in the VW scene a long time and been privileged to have owned a number of fantastic Campers. and this is no exception. I am happy to have an inspection by anyone in the know - this bus will get the thumbs up.

There is plenty of very interesting history including the fact that it was bought by an American services guy when he was stationed in Germany, to US spec, used it for a few years there then brought it back with him to the US.

The reason we are selling is that the family are growing up, we are having to carry more gear and are having more demanding holidays in the mountains, mountain biking and walking further afield in Europe. I want this bus to be appreciated, preserved and maintained and we need a T5 van for the trips we have planned. If only I could keep it in the garage until we need a bus like this again.

I have uploaded some pics here: http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/philipip/library/Ruby" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hopefully it works, let me know if not!

We are looking for 18k It has nearly a years MOT and is tax free.

If you have any questions, please get in touch. I would recommend coming to have a look, you will not be disappointed. we are going to Bus Types Show in Oswestry on 17, 18, 19th April and other shows around the Northwest this year. Feel free to call me on 07971 568687 if you are interested or message me.

Cheers

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts