• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1972 Bay T2 Rolling Project. Dormobile Roof, Devon Interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickBab

Reaction score
Selling my 72 Crossover bay due to redundancy. I bought this last year with the intention of doing a rolling restoration. The good news, this van has very little rust and has been on the road most its life. It has MOT/Tax and can be driven away. The bad news, this van has been patched in numerous places to keep it on the road. Some of this patching is not pretty.

My intention was to use it this year, continuing the patching for the next MOT and to keep it on the road. I was then planning a full restoration over winter 2014/15. Unfortunately my sudden change in work circumstances means I’ll have limited funds to continue the rolling restoration so it’s time to move it on. I’ll have to stick to camping in my T4 this year.

The van is located near Twyford/Reading, Berkshire and I’m just keen to get my money back so asking £5950. MOT until Aug 2014, Tax free with disc until Sept 2014.

Since purchasing I’ve replaced all the fuel lines, fitted a fuel cut-off solenoid, replaced the plugs and coil, fitted Petronix HT leads, changed the oil incl replacing the filter. I’m no expert mechanic so it could do with a proper tune to get the timing right.

It had a recon twin port 1600 engine fitted in 1993 at 48,471 miles. I have the receipt and a stack of MOT certificates since then. The current mileage is approx 65K. The latest MOT certificate reads mileage history as 2008 64,911miles, 2009 64,943miles, 2011 64,961miles, 2013 64,972miles. So not much use in the last half decade, but obviously I cannot validate this.

The battery tray will need replacing for MOT.

I stripped the inside to get a good gauge of the work needed, this will also help you see what’s needed when viewing. I have a replacement dash as the original has been hacked around. I also have both bunk beds although the canvas has been replaced and a pair of Saab seats. The original seats are also there although one has a rip. All included.

I bought a basic Devon interior which I was going to use in the short term. This has all the original cushions, rock’n’roll bed, cupboards, cool box and cooker which swings out of the sliding door for outside cooking. This interior is in need of restoration and some panels replacing, but most of it is there to use as templates where needed.

I know a Dormobile van with a Devon interior is a bit weird, but to me this is the best of both worlds. I love the Devon swing out cooker which can be easily detached with the supplied bracket to use in the awning. The Dormobile roof is also my favourite pop top, a classic.

The belly pans have been removed underneath so there are no hidden surprises. It’ll need a few small patches for the next MOT.

I also have a Hamiliton winter cover which will be additional to the sale price if required.

I have loads more pictures I can share. I’d prefer only serious buyers contact me to save mine and your time.

Please don’t come to view expecting a barn find original. As mentioned this Bay has been patched, including some panels over panels and should be classed as a rolling restoration. It can be driven away and the work conducted over the summer months whilst you use it.

I’ve tried to be as honest as possible to save everyone’s time.

I hope that covers most things. Pm me for more details or to arrange a viewing.

Nick

It's still for sale.

I have a couple of gearboxes I'll include. No idea of the condition, they came with the van when I bought it.

Got the cushions out of the loft. The interior isn't fixed in, but this will give you an idea.

6e7303083436680e2f3ea20f6de8fda3_zps50bc8cad.jpg

2e5e41bb0922cb4c7430ccc40b52fbb8_zpsb3aa4f54.jpg

215da87ca1c8ebafc337fedb27a969df_zps062f1a50.jpg

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts