• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1972 Bay Window cross over rear bumper.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya,
New to the forum!
My other half has just got a '72 crossover bay, with a very rusty slash-cut back bumper with rust holes in it, I need a correct fitting bumper that doesn't fowl the bodywork (the slash-cut hits both sides) I notice the rear corners must have been done with late bay parts, as the bulges aren't there for the corner bumper bolts!
Would this one be okay without them!
Is there anywhere that does new ones that fit?

Cheers,

Timo

By the sounds of it some one has put a late splitscreen rear bumper on the van this would cause it to rub the corners.

This bumper would fit and would also be ok without the corner brackets. As far as I know there is no one that makes early/crossover bay bumpers new other than fiberglass bumpers.

bumper still here!!how is this possible?to find a straight dent free rear bumper is hard finding a stright one year only bumper is twice that.

Can you get XO bumper new? I've not seen any granted I dont look particularly for XO items....also new steel bumpers are on the whole inferior quality....

Personally I think the price is not too far off the mark and as he says on the previous page or best offer guys....

As far as i know you can only get new Split bumpers in metal but can get almost all bumpers in fiberglass. If I'm wrong please enlighten me anyone.

I don't think you're wrong, as nobody had the molds from the original German machine. There is one retailer with rights to the split bumper press. Yet somebody else made a new press doing the bay bumpers in stainless for more than I ever pay for a bus!

Another difference is the holes for the heat shield on models not retaining the 1.6...VW thought necessary as exhaust runs perpendicular to the heater boxes....

You can get the early bumpers but the only ones I've seen are real nasty, I'd rather go the no more rusty bits route with fibreglass...

Yes mr Woodslat almost forgot about the extra shield on the lower lip...