• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1972 Baywindow Viking conversion, fully restored, £13.5k

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
I'm advertising this on behalf of my good friend Roger. Any enquiries you can PM me on here or contact Roger on the number below. Being a little bit more 'VW-minded' than Roger I've spent a fair few days with him over the past few years getting all the niggles ironed out so I feel I can speak with some accuracy about this vehicle.

Up for sale here is a 1972 Tax exempt 'crossover' baywindow bus with a Viking conversion. The bus has been fully, and I mean FULLY, restored. Absolutely rock solid underneath. A very well done paint job and a NEW engine were done as part of the refurb approx 3 years ago, and Roger's done no more than 2k miles in it since then.

The Viking conversion is in tip-top condition, everything functions as it should and all cushions and features are original and working. Gas fridge, cooker with extractor fan(!), massive cupboard space and perhaps most importantly, the most sleeping space you will find in any VW camper conversion. Sleeps four adults very comfortably, or two adults below and three kids upstairs. Its huge up there! There's a leisure battery and split charge system fitted.

Engine is a Brazilian 1600 twinport and fitted new by previous owner 4k miles ago. Runs sweet. Starts well, idles from cold, pulls well, no endfloat and nice clean engine bay. I build these engines for a living and I can tell you this is a good'un. We spent a while replacing all the bushes on gear change and now it snicks in and out of gears as it should.

Mileage is 78,000. Standard ride height, no lowering done and ride is as it should be. Wheels are very clean and tidy Empi 5 copies and tyres have loads of tread and are proper heavy duty load rated ones.

A couple of bad points:
There's a small blister and rust spot on the passenger door lower. I'll upload a pic of it in next day or so. Its about the size of a 50 pence piece and would be an afternoons work to sort. It was there when Roger bought the bus and it hasn't got any bigger since then.

Seats are non original. They're in very good order and comfy, but I feel its worth mentioning as they're one of the very few non-original parts on bus.

12 months MOT, All electrics working, no play in steering. All in all a good solid bus, no hidden issues and absolutely ready to go for the summer. Justkampers breathable cover included.

Van is located near Ipswich. Asking price is £13,500. Viewing is definitely recommended - Roger is retired so available most times. His number is 01473 780614. Feel free to get in touch with him. If its a more technical enquiry it might be worth PM-ing me on here.

There are more pics on my photobucket here:

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/fredster_photo/library/Rogers%20Van?sort=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts