1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the issue i have upfront is that with my big wheels (to go over the discs, and that i love the look of them) i cant go too low. I like the stance at the moment, but because there is limited clearance (approx 20mm) between tyre and wheel arch to avoid contact, the front suspension has to be rock hard.

ideally i would like this look when stationary/motorway driving and raise it up a litle when driving around towns where the roads are bumpy and pothole ridden. This is leaning me towards hydraulics or airbags. if i change to the wishbone setup and keep the ride height, then i will simply bottom out on my wheel arches.

therefore, i'm currently thinking about a hybrid between hydraulics/air and the wishbone setup. possibly swap out the coilovers on the wishbone to enable me to raise the bus up a couple of inches when driving around town and lower for motorway and when stationary. all in my head at the moment, as i dont have any spare cash coming in to pay for any of this hehe.

I understand what you are saying. Before you do any of the hydraulics/air stuff, give Lee a call and explain him the situation. I bet he will make it happen for you. I have bought a lot of carbon parts from him for my 1303 GL. He knows what he is talking about.

I do not like hydraulics / air. A good idea will be a KW coilover set up where you can adjust everything from your cabin. Have you seen this for ex: http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_clubsport.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just seen the article in Volksworld. Good work fella!

I fitted a Red 9 EZ Rider on my Dormie and got a Bedford Rascal rack to replace the box. I've still not driven it yet but sounds like a ideal solution for you. Details in my thread below (I think).

I have no idea how a Porsche engine draws air in a van but in the German Look scene its common practice to open holes on the engine lid where the registration plate is. Then we use spacers for the registration and the holes behind it are more than enough for the fan to suck enough fresh air.

the front fan draws air in from vents at the top of the rear quarters - from the same place as with the Type I and IV engines.

my concern about drilling holes in the engine lid is similar to running without an engine lid - when sat in traffic you have the issue of re-circulation of hot air over the cylinder heads. The fan is far enough away from the engine lid when closed to be able to draw the air from the air vents.

Wow NaFe,

What a story! Such a journey well done. Thanks
for the info on the bed etc, will keep you updated on my project.

Phil

Thanks guys.

just thought i would post a couple of the pictures that didnt make it into volkworld magazine:

LaurensParsonsPhotography-5_zps8ed08847.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-35_zps563add3c.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-104_zpsacda5127.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-107_zps59b9f8f1.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-137_zps82c4dbbb.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-138_zpsf940359c.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-114_zps75c49927.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-119_zps4a577852.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-139_zpse6ae2bd1.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-99_zpsc3b9cd0a.jpg

LaurensParsonsPhotography-84_zps42ae8688.jpg

unfortunately, no news on the bus mate. and there wont be for a couple of years now.

i have recently been offered a job of a lifetime in Australia and going out there for a few years. I will be keeping the bus in storage while I am away.

i plan to save up some money to possibly do some modifications when i return. it will be a long wait, but i am considering some kind of hydraulic/air/red9design hybrid, but will have to wait a couple of years and see how the savings rack up :)

booooo

Seeing these pictures of my bus is making me sad. the bus has been under cover in the garage for best part of 4 months with exception of being the wedding car at my best mates wedding. not only this, i'm, soon to be leaving it behind for 2yrs while i'm over in Oz.

i know it will be here when i get back, but still. i've put all the time, effort, money and ideas into the bus only to leave it behind. boooo

you will appreciate it more when you come back with extra cash to throw at it. Nevertheless if you want to find it as you left it place the babe in a humidity controlled garage!!!

Otherwise I can always come to the Uk pick up the van, drive it down to Greece and keep it in my garage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, so nothing really has "happened"with the camper while I'm here in Australia. I am mainly lurking in the background reading a lot of what people are up to and enjoying seeing the trips people are making across the water to the European shows. Loved Stu and Foz's trip to Spa

I have though, finally sorted some long term under cover accommodation for the camper while I'm out here. My dad and the family friend who painted the bus took care of transporting Betty:

IMG-20140822-WA0000_zpsdy2ukxkt.jpg

IMG-20140822-WA0001_zpsmqjmhzmv.jpg

IMG-20140822-WA0002_zps3zmm0hx9.jpg

IMG-20140822-WA0003_zpsqdqmugvp.jpg

I have been collecting parts which are being stored at my parents (they are too good to me). So far I have bought:
Red 9 Wishbone Setup
Aluminium Fuel tank with approx 60L capacity
Customised Gene Berg Shifter
Ambulance fans
Working up a replacement EFI system for the engine - slowly

Well I think its time to resurrect my old resto thread!

So 18months on, whats changed....well my wife and I are well into our 5th year of our 2yr visit here in Melbourne. Due to my second UK storage solution becoming less feasible and our decision to stay here for a while longer, the wife and i decided to ship the camper over to Aus. What better place to enjoy a camper/bus - or as I should refer to it form now on, a Kombi.

I ended up opting for a container shipping mainly due to the fact that the bus wasnt driveable with a working fuel gauge for a ro-ro. Also, I had a few other things like my red9design wishbone setup to ship along with an aluminium fuel tank etc.

After I sorted my Import Permit to allow me to ship my camper to aus, I organised the shipping down to Southampton and awaited 3months for its arrival in Melbourne. Tracking its progress everyday on the website once I knew the vessel's name was quite sad but exciting. It finally arrived in Melbourne!

IMG_2343_zpssenj5uv0.jpg

After failing its quarantine and paying to have its underbelly cleaned and then re-inspected a friend and I collected one saturday morning:

20170413_070029_HDR_zpszdcai8dl.jpg

20170422_091154_zpsxs9cs0ct.jpg

20170422_093337_zpsxsabao5r.jpg

20170422_103057_zpsykfkhbhf.jpg

I let the wife drive while we pushed her into her new home. Sad news followed the following week that our landlord was giving us the boot because he was renovating the property and then moving in with his family :x . devastated. I was losing my double garage! I frantic search didnt find a property with such a good garage space, but a lovely house and enough space for the garage and my fishing kayak. I even treated her to a bit of flooring!

20170612_151201_zps4hnbv5vh.jpg

20170612_162703_zpszko2h2ac.jpg

20170625_161249_zpsgvndriik.jpg

if only that was the only stress we've had. While prepping the bus for its engineering signoff, prior to getting it road registered, i discovered that my starter motor had pretty much burned out. after taking it apart it was bad news - the only place for it was the bin. turns out that the stock starter that i was running was 0.7HP and the Porsche one for my engine is 1.9HP...that will explain the historical sporadic difficulty in cranking when hot. I ordered a HI-Toque starter from a place in aus:

20170524_171847_zps46u9gnyu.jpg

Next up was, giving the engine a full service when I discovered a snapped head stud!! which means only one thing! Pulling the engine and rebuilding!! at least the top end. Inspection during teardown will depict whether there are other things that need doing like replacing P&C's. or even the case needs to be split.

20170615_184825_zpsqfapqirn.jpg

20170615_184908_zps6sg5z2nv.jpg

I am currently in a bit of dilemma now. do I fit a temporary replacement type 4 engine and get the bus on the road asap. allowing me to then slowly teardown, inspect, replace and rebuild or do I just rebuild the engine I have and have the bus off the road for even longer... with only evenings and some weekends free to work on the Porsche engine i can see it being several months before the engine is rebuilt and don't really want to be pressured in terms of time to get the bus on the road and rush the rebuild...especially as I haven't done it before. on the other hand, the bus wont be the same with a type4 engine in it - vein I know, but the whole thing about this camper is the everything that's in it. I know its interim, but still... At least I think I have a reliable guy who can provide me with a replacement engine. it will come complete - even with the tinware and he'll even so a fully service of it and compression test!

so whats next. A full compression test on the Porsche engine and cylinder leakdown test will give me some feedback on engine condition. Historically I had lower compression on no.2 so will be good to see if that's still an issue as I wasn't sure if it was just a bit of carbon buildup on the valve/valve seat or something more concerning. I'll be tearing down the engine anyway so will ultimately find out, but will help to give an idea/

Wow - sounds like things are moving on for you over there and now you have the bus, exciting for you and the missus for sure :)

i would (as I think you are) put the type 4 engine in and enjoy so you are not rushing with the Porsche engine.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Latest posts