1972 Dormobile Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdf

Reaction score
Im looking at getting my first VW camper. Ive seen a 1972 for sale that needs a bit of body/paintwork. The seller has told me its mechanically sound though. As im new to the vw vans is there anything specific i need to look out for? Ive got a fairly decent mechanical knowledge so ill check all the usuall things.

As i have no idea about these vans are the Dormobile ones any different from the normal vans? Or is it just a model name?

Hi, you would be looking at a crossover van - low front indicators, early bumpers and late rear lights and air intake. The main thing to look for is rust and bodged repairs, have a good look through the gallery and see how extensive repairs can turn out to be. Only be prepared to take on a vehicle if you can do these type of repairs and the initial price reflects it.

Dormobile is a camping conversion, it maybe worth getting to know what should be in one in terms of interior in case any bits are missing.

Good luck, do your research and don't buy the first van you see, oh and good luck :D

as said rust rust rust

bog can hide a multitude of sins (worst i've seen had wooden 2x2 sections covered in bog and fibre glass in the sills to cover up a big rust hole) check all the lower 6" of the van for rot all the inner bits you can get too and depending on the conversion also check the floor
then just general wear and tear, check the engine for knock bangs and oil leaks.

but you will be supprised how much you can get for them new or second hand so i wouldn't be too worried about general bits and bobs

also can you weld? if not you can save a fortune by learning :)

dave

Thanks for the replies. I can weld and im confident enough to do pretty much any engine work that may be needed. Are there any specific parts that are known to fail that can cost a fortune to replace? From what i gather the paint is "cherry red" but its faded in places (could probably get it presentable myself) but my plans are for a green bottom white top respray during the winter if i buy it. Does anyone have any pictures of standard ones so i know what to look for to see if anything is missing?

i personally think myself there is no two campers the same :lol:

do you need interior shots or exterior shots do you have any pics at the mo?

I dont have any pictures at the moment. As ive never seen one before i have no idea what should be inside. It would be nice to see what "should" be there although i fully understand that there may notbe two vans that are the same. Ive got some of my own ideas for the interior anyway.

Main thing to check is the chassis and the gutters (especially the gutters on a Dormie where the hinges are).
The rest isn't too difficult to repair if your good with a welder.

If your not to bothered about an original interior then don't worry about missing bits (or use them as a haggling thing....)

Good luck ;)

Have a look at my project thread - shows what an original dormie interior should look like and also some of the common rust areas - think my van has most of them covered! http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As well as the rear furniture (small wardrobe behind the passenger seat, side unit with sink and coolbox, 3/4 width bed with table underneath) there should be a cooker under the passenger seat which is fed from a gas bottle under the sink on a crossover. There should also be two bunks in the poptop and normally a third bunk that goes across the cab area. Personally I think the dormie conversion is great so well worth getting an interior in good nick if poss :)

Latest posts