• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1972 Tax Exempt Beetle in good standard order!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire3500

Reaction score
Posting on behalf of a local chap who is selling his Beetle...

Beetle advert
1972 1300 (Tax Exempt)
I bought this 6 years ago as an MOT failure due to rust near suspension components.
When I got started on the repairs I just decided to get stuck in and go for an extensive restoration. Below is a fairly comprehensive list of parts and panels which I have changed.

Pair of floor pans
Pair of heater channels
Pair of rear cross members
Pair of front bumper mounts
Spare wheel well
Engine side trays
OSR wheel arch inner
New brake lines, solid and flexi
Brake shoes all round
Window seals
Door seals
Bonnet seal
Decklid seal
Headliner and bows
Axel boots
Battery (Bosh S3) over 2 years warranty still remains
Wing beading
Fuel line
Drivers side A post
Drivers side sun visor
Rear seat back
Window winder handles
Fire wall tar board
Hookies Engine bay side trays
Under bonnet carpet
Gearbox nose cone mount

I will rack my brains as I’m sure there are one of two other jobs ive done, but as its been so extensive its hard to remember everything!

The engine has been stripped down to a short block, everything cleaned up. Tin rubbed down and repainted, fresh seals and service items fitted. End float was 0.01mm
It turns out this engine is the original one from the factory (I have a birth certificate to prove this) which is getting quite rare these days.

A couple of shots of the paint in progress

It has never let me down and is very comfortable between 50 and 60mph, ive used the car all year round as the heater system is well sealed.

The tail light lenses no longer have the reverse part as I cracked one and the spare set I had didn’t have the reverse lens in it

The quirky bits,

Due to the lack of glove box the bonnet cable had to be pulled with a pair of pliers, which I will include in the sale!

There is a tear in the driver’s seat base

One or two of the push rod tube seals have started to weep

Currently MOT’d till august but I can put another 12 months on it, it will go straight through.

I’ve got a box of odds and sods that I will include with the sale. All five tyres have good tread

The engine was serviced about 600miles ago, but I’m happy to drain it and put fresh oil in if that’s what the buyer wants
DN21 area
£2650 ono

Latest posts