240v hookup consumer unit + ZIG

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveangel

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a ZIG CF9 unit which I am about to fit to my bay. I also want to run two electric sockets. I already have a 240v cable entering underneath the R/R seat but NO protection.

I have spotted a twin outlet consumer unit (RCD protected) on ebay and have a choice of which MCB's I require. One of the outputs of the consumer unit will go to the ZIG and the other will go to the outlets. What size MCB's do I need? I think it's 16a for the ZIG but not sure about the sockets...

Thanks in advance.

the highest rated caravan sites give 16A i think the rating on the zig is a indication of this fact, it wont pull 16A in normal use if you go for 2 breakers id get one five and 1 ten id put the zig onto the 5 and see if this holds without tripping (it shouldnt) this will leave the 10 for your sockets, 4amps is1000w so the 10 will give you over 2kw plenty for a small bus its hard to give ratings for the zig because there are lots of them hope this helps

birchyman said:
the highest rated caravan sites give 16A i think the rating on the zig is a indication of this fact, it wont pull 16A in normal use if you go for 2 breakers id get one five and 1 ten id put the zig onto the 5 and see if this holds without tripping (it shouldnt) this will leave the 10 for your sockets, 4amps is1000w so the 10 will give you over 2kw plenty for a small bus its hard to give ratings for the zig because there are lots of them hope this helps

Good advice, this is exactly what i did. Though mine is a CF8 I think and has it's own fuses too.

the job of the mcb is to protect the cable so a couple of 16 amp ones should be ok, if you pull more current than the hook up is rated at their mcb will operate.

Latest posts