5x130 conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve67

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm currently restoring my 71 Westfalia. I want to run deep six Fuchs wheels.
In the back I use adapters which is fine.
But I still search for a way to run them in the front as adapters will widen the track too much.
I have dropped spindels for disc brakes and want to keep them to be able to mount the original setup for German TÜV (MOT).
Also a narrow beam would be a problem with German TÜV.
One way would be to redrill the hubs. I know a lot of people do that, but I am really not sure if it is safe.
Second option is using 944 hubs and adapters for Wilwood calipers. The fitting Wilwood calipers don't have dust seals and I am not sure if this is ok for daily use.
Any other suggestions?

best regards
Steve

Steve67 said:
Hi everybody,
Second option is using 944 hubs and adapters for Wilwood calipers. The fitting Wilwood calipers don't have dust seals and I am not sure if this is ok for daily use.
Any other suggestions?

best regards
Steve

Hey, why don't use the 944 hubs with the 944 " swimsattel calipers or Boxter or 944 turbo's (brembo)?

Greetings mycha

hi,
thanks for oyur answer. Who is selling adapters to fit 944 calipers on disc spindels?
best regards
Steve

can`t find adapters for disc spindles there, only for drum spindles.
Really would like to keep my disc spindles...

I run professionnaly redrilled discs by Vintage Autohaus in France, no problems at all.

dyn007_original_800_600_jpeg__65f740f16ce4b9bcca6f50d569746195.jpg

I don`t think they are adaptors , not a lot of room and not much meat for the 130pcd bolt tho in my opinion and i`d be surprised if it passed TUV . Same for any wheel adaptors really the work of satan .. Swop front to early spindles and use 944 stuff , its easy and its safe .
Adaptors on the rear again will add 20/25 mm of track and not really safe either . Neither really is welding/redrilling the rear hub . Safest way is these

vw013.jpg

130pcd rear bay hubs ... creative do them as well

kombiporsche said:
I run professionnaly redrilled discs by Vintage Autohaus in France, no problems at all.

dyn007_original_800_600_jpeg__65f740f16ce4b9bcca6f50d569746195.jpg

Hi,
do you know how it's done?
The disc is only 9.5 thick in the area of the threads. Do they also drill trough the hub?
best regards
Steve

Yes they pull out original studs from the hub, then they drill and tap the hub to M14x1.5 and machine conical sittings on the disc.

After that, they tighten firmly the disc on the hub with those flat head 10.9 grade M14x1.5 Allen screws. Now discs and hubs are a one and unique part.

Now they drill and tap both the disc and the hub to 5x130 PCD and screw in new M14x1.5 studs with green loctite, then secure the studs with a small weld spot from behind.

It's a very well made modification and we are a lot of busses who are running there redrilled discs without any problems in France.

all seems a good idea. only issue is when you need to swap the front disks you would need new hubs to as would be difficult to drill half a hole when one half is already tapped for thread.

as with the original poster, I have disk spindles and a complete 944 set up with ATS calipers. no one does this conversion as there isn't enough room to get an adapter plate for the caliper. only way is to fill one caliper hole with a bolt. peen it in then redrill the spindle with a hole in the right place. trouble is if you get it wrong your spindle is knackered.

alternative is drum spindles and existing kit or buy different calipers. so with the cost of new spindles it ain't cheap.

rears can be refilled no issues as its in one part. transporterhaus and futbus can do this for a fraction of the cost of custom hubs ( or at least it was about 8 months ago )

thanks at all for your answers. I think I will try the Vintage Autohaus conversion...

open up a new page on google, click the more list and translate, then paste the webpage in and it will translate it for you - google is your friend :D

cant find anything on there as products though, maybe its a service they offer at the workshop?

Contact them : [email protected], they speak English.

They can modify your hubs and discs or can send you used hubs with new bearings and new discs installed, They also do the mod for the rear.

1526055630.JPG

thanks kombiporsche

I have sent an email - wanted to do it in french but I never had the opportunity to learn it!

I have suggested that they visit this thread - and subject to forum rules can maybe post some indicative prices - it would be useful, just not sure it's allowed?

Darren

Latest posts