68 Camper pics "My horror story" presenting "

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currylager

Reaction score
Hello all, finally got round to showing a few pictures of my bus (Myrtle) the incredible hulk, this is probably because i've spent most weekends trying to make a start on the damage, as you can see there is a lot to do.

S4300055.jpg

Just giving the bus a wash after i bought it, i borrowed a camper cover off a mate in VW club and didnt want to get it plastered in grime and mildew, and rust of course!!!

S4300051.jpg

A frontal shot with me (blur) doing my best to clean several years of crap of it.

S4300054.jpg

Bus looking much better after a clean!!!

S4300040.jpg

Bus front panel very corroded at the edges, but not MOT failure, so i may leave this until i finish more urgent issues and hopefully get it on the road.

S4300046.jpg

As you can see the roof is totally shot, most of the gutters are actually filler, there have been several times when i have wondered if it is actually possible to repair corrosion this bad.

S4300048.jpg

Just the same on the other side, see what i mean, dont know how people can let things get this bad.

S4300044.jpg

Gutters have rotted through and leaked water into interior roof structure and rotted this badly too, replacement roof was only option.

S4300043.jpg

Close up shot of gutters, this lot literally fell out when i removed the window. Dormobile pop tops allow all the crap to get trapped in the gutters and do a lot of damage.

S4300032.jpg

The section of steel between the gutter and top of tailgate is non existent!, this would be an MOT failure because of the exhaust fumes being sucked in - worse than dodgy heat exchangers!!!

S4300047.jpg

The tailgate area at its worst, this bus was on Ebay and never got one bid, wonder why???

myrtle2001.jpg

I bought this bus in November 06 and have completed the roof repair to a reasonable standard which makes the bus a more viable project.

myrtle2009.jpg
[/img]
this is the picture after the roof has been replaced with one off a bus with a completely rotten bottom end.

myrtle2002.jpg

More pics of roof repair.

S4300039.jpg

Front steps and arches are required on both sides.

S4300038.jpg

Sills and outriggers required on both sides, but i decided to tackle the roof first, if the repairs were not successful- the bus is scrap!!.

]

S4300034.jpg

More sill shots, this bus spent a fair bit of its life in Morecambe Bay, was no holiday tho!!, salt air has worked wonders with the tinworm.

myrtle2008-1.jpg

A picture of where the replacement roof is welded in. This white section has replaced that rather rotten innner section shown above.

myrtle2007.jpg

Rather than replace the entire roof i opted for cutting out the gutters and roof structure and mating them with the good window posts and top roof skin.

myrtle2006.jpg

A picture of replacement roof corner joint on other side.

myrtle2005.jpg

An external roof joint at window post, not bad!

myrtle2004.jpg

The external roof corner joint, the donor roof was not perfect, but a lot better than the pile of filler that was there before. Some fine cosmetic attention will be needed at a later date, perhaps on a sunny day when the van is actually on the road!!!.

myrtle2002.jpg

Note the roof joint above the gutter along the rear roof edge, low enough to be discreet, but hope to do fine cosmetic detail at some point.

myrtle2010.jpg

The lower window recesses were found to be well rotten so replacement panels welded in, i chose the £35 ones because the metal behind the outer skirts was also thin.

myrtle2011.jpg

Same repair carried out on other side, welding the window corner sections in and getting them right took time and patience.

myrtle2016.jpg

The inner sill was rotten, so all the spot welds drilled out and sill removed.

myrtle2013.jpg

Note front outrigger removed and inner sill in position, still a lot of work to do in this area.

myrtle2022.jpg

New outrigger offered into place, trying to check all panels fit properly before the welding begins.

myrtle2020.jpg

Front wheelarch and step offered into place and secured temporarily with self tappers to ensure panels fit in all places. Ran out of welding gas this weekend and supplier was closed, so doing what i can for the time being.

myrtle2021.jpg

Front lower valance of van literally fell off with front bumper note how really early bays dont have the addtional chassis sections, only the 2 main rails. Main chassis rail ends both crusty, new metal welded in including new end plates cut into shape with help of jigsaw. 50 ton puller required to remove arm off steering box allowing it to be removed to repair chassis.

myrtle2019.jpg

Having a winter project is a good idea, garden is being used as scrap metal/rust store , can you recognise the parts??.

myrtle2023.jpg

Do you ever get the impression this project might be taking over my life, Sliding door is stored indoors while i repair wheel arch sill section behind sliding door.

myrtle3003.jpg

Front outrigger now plug welded in, luckily the rear ones were ok and passed the hammer test.

myrtle3004.jpg

View of inner sill welded in.

myrtle3001.jpg

I used cardboard templates to fabricate the curved steel sections for the lower B post side sections. The metal was donated from the heap of scrap in my back garden (VW roof).

myrtle3005.jpg

The outer section could then be welded to the curved post section (courtesy of schofields).

myrtle3006.jpg

Curved section from another angle.

myrtle3007.jpg

The remainder of wheel arch bulkhead plated and painted.

myrtle3008.jpg

The outer sill was surprisingly easy to weld in and was completed in under an hour, i sprayed the internals with weld through zinc primer, hopefully this will help keep the rust away a bit longer, i wouldnt want to do another bus as bad as this again!!!.

I managed to weld the rear section between the sill and rear wheelarch in after work this afternoon. All i need to do now is close up the wheel rear arch to box the sill section off and i will be able to refit the sliding door. :D :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/currylager/myrtle5009.jpg[/IMG

Time to start side B, this side was much worse, i dont know why though.

[img]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/currylager/myrtle5005.jpg

Rear short sill also required.

myrtle5002.jpg

Front wheel arch cut out.

myrtle6020.jpg

The chassis was also peppered by the front outrigger, so a plate is needed .

myrtle6013.jpg

All 3 sills totally shot and need replacing.

myrtle6022.jpg

Sills removed, both rear outriggers ok and useable.

myrtle6023.jpg

Front outrigger and upper cross member totally rotten, so cut them out to replace.

myrtle6025.jpg

Inner sill and strengthener welded in. Note nice big juicy plate welded to chassis, outrigger will fit nicely over this, should be well strong.

myrtle6026.jpg

Outrigger and upper crossmember section welded in.

Outer sill clamped and welded in.

myrtle6029.jpg

Rear short sill fitted.

myrtle6032.jpg

Looking a bit better now.

myrtle6031.jpg

myrtle6030.jpg

Front wheel arch and step fitted.

myrtle6033.jpg

Jes, good luck as looks like loads of work!
Your either very brave or very, well, you know :D

Respect 8)

Bloody hell, another one like mine :lol:

Mine had that sort of poptop too and the roof rusted to buggery.

Looks like a great project, any pics of the new roof in situ? 8)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's the camaraderie on sites like this that keeps me motivated!!, spent another 10 hours on it this weekend cutting out more rot and putting a few bits in. The bus cost me £500 and i reckon i've spent around £700 on Welders,Gas,Grinding discs, Reciprocating blades, spare roof, body panels, plasters and T bags of course!!, took a few more pics of work in progress, so will try to put them on soon.

Its great to see some pics of Myrtle at last. Keep up the great work. Will be great to park next to this bus at the shows this year. Keep up the good work you are doing a great job. Respect.

the doc said:
Its great to see some pics of Myrtle at last. Keep up the great work. Will be great to park next to this bus at the shows this year. Keep up the good work you are doing a great job. Respect.

Cheers ian reckon i'll be paralletic with zzider when i get this baby on the road, hope to see you tuesday!!

Just seen your pic's looking better now should be ready for April if you take a few weeks off work!

Hey the roof is looking loads better since i last seen it. Carry on the good work mate and i'll see you soon :D :D :D

Cutters said:
Just seen your pic's looking better now should be ready for April if you take a few weeks off work!

Thats what i'm hoping for buddy, its frustrating having to go to work in all this nice mild weather, i end up thinking what i could be doing on the bus!!, i managed to chisel the other bellypan off yesterday and hope to get stuck in again this weekend, war has been declared on the tinworm!! :twisted:

Little D said:
Hey the roof is looking loads better since i last seen it. Carry on the good work mate and i'll see you soon :D :D :D

Thanks!!, once i get the windows back in the bus will no longer be a swimming pool!!

Holy shite :shock: Fair play to you on taking on such a project and good on you for saving another early bay instead of breaking it for parts 8)

currylager said:
Little D said:

Thanks!!, once i get the windows back in the bus will no longer be a swimming pool!!

Drop me a text when your ready to fit the windows and i'll come down and pop them in with you. Did you win that engine ?

NO mate i didn't win that engine, thought i did but didnt meet the reserve, wasnt easy to see on the mobile, so almost pooed my pants for no reason i'm afraid :x

Latest posts