68 deluxe confusion ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
Hi.. I've recently bought a 68 deluxe and cant seem to work out if its a 'real' deluxe or not. quite a few threads on here
and have gone through them all but still confused!

it IS a left hand drive from california..It does have what looks like a 68 rear view mirror...all the window trim and waistline trim is there but the first two didits are not 24/or25?

None of my last few deluxes have had 24/25 as there code and its not always listed on the m code plate, the other things to check are the interior, does it have the arm rest vents on the cab doors, usually two tone door cards and panels in the rear, chrome door furniture, full length headlining etc etc, its unlikely that someone would go to the extent of dressing up a stock bus especially the window trim insert as its a lot of money to change it all.

Deluxe buses in the US did not have VIN numbers that start with 24 as far as I know. US deluxes were usually had VINs starting with 22 (Micro bus/station wagons).

To determine if you have a real deluxe (or a Clipper as the 1968/69 deluxes was named) look for deluxe options that are not likely or easily added at a later point.

Look for factory clock in dash, chrome rear vent wing frames, a full headliner, the U shaped hinge for the slide door in chrome. I am not 100% sure all of these were standard on US deluxes, but in general they are options you would usually not find on standard buses.

Latest posts